1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens wasting away

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilverJeep, Dec 4, 2008.

1. SilverJeep

SilverJeep Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2007
    Northeast, TN
    I tried to search here but came up with no luck.

About every 3 or 4 months I'll have a chicken that all of a sudden starts acting lathargic. I'll go pick her up and she doesn't weigh but a 10th of what she should. I'll immediately separate from the rest of the flock and keep it warm, dry, fed, watered and in a day or two it'll die. Every time.

Anybody know what this is? I've lost probably 6 birds to this over 2 years.

Thanks, SilverJeep

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Sounds like the low man on the totem pole not getting to eat. Watch and make sure you don't have one that's being bullied.

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I have to feed my Cochin separately from the rest of the girls because she just is not pushy enough to get in there and eat. They dont pick on her at all, they just hog the food. So she gets her own bowl away from the others

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Could they have worms?

5. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    did you check their crop?? They could be eating things that make them get impacted.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    read up on worms and ciccidiosis. Both things can have that effect on poultry [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had five internal layers, one is still alive, but bone thin. They would just slow down, then when I pick them up, find that they are skin and bones. Soon, they pass on or we euthanize them. We opened them all up and found the same thing. Are yours from a hatchery? What breeds? High production birds are more susceptible to this, it seems.

8. SilverJeep

SilverJeep Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2007
    Northeast, TN
    Quote:The last one in question was from a 4H project. This was a small breed, don't know the kind. The rest were RIR.

The first one I opened up to see if it was worms, or infection and everything looked fine, although nothing really there.

???

Our birds free range and i throw out some food and scratch in a long line so they all get plenty without fighting.

The last one I brought in the house, she ate, drank water and pooped all over my bathroom. Next morning she was running around clucking and acting normal. I put her back out with the rest. She died the next night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by