Chickens wasting feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NC Chicken Gal, Jul 1, 2009.

1. NC Chicken Gal

NC Chicken Gal Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    So, I fill my feeder up twice a day, but a lot of the feed ends up on the floor of the coop. My chickens are messy! Should I just fill it once a day and let them eat what they spilled? Just that feed is not the cheapest, and if it is not "mean" to let them eat off the floor, I will!!!

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I know, my girls can be messy too. If I see a large amount of feed on the floor, you can bet that I won't fill the feeder until I know they have at least scratched around to pick up most of the dropped feed! That's just me but waste not, want not!

3. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Mine always spill it, too. [​IMG] I would let them eat it off of the floor.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    How big is your feeder? How many chickens do you have?

You may can reduce the feeding down to once a day and see if they conserve more food. Some chickens just like to play in their food.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

What kind of feeder do you have? Hanging or on the floor? Mine waste food when it sits on the floor. If it is just high enough to get their beaks in I don't get as much waste

6. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Get the pellets and let them clean the floor before you feed them.

7. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Mine hangs from the ceiling and it works well with little waste.... I think the trick is to find the correct height. I keep the water up off the ground as well.

[​IMG]

8. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    Search "Homemade Feeder". Look at the kind that is made from a bucket and the chickens have to stick their head inside to eat. Very little waste. I doubt I have lost a pond of feed to waste since I started using them.

9. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I think there is something about the food being near the ground that makes the chickens want to rake and cratch it around everywhere LOL

[​IMG]

10. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I made pvc feeders that are simple to make. I have instructions in the coop design section. I think it's on about the 4th page now. I have NO loss of feed with this feeder. They hold enough feed for 11 chickens for 3 days. Try it out. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by