Chickens were attacked by 2 dogs (graphic pictures)*update*

oandrea

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
DFW, Texas
2 small dogs got into my backyard and into my coop today. 2 of my chickens escaped unharmed, 1 has a would I am sure she will recover from, the last one was inside the nest box when the dogs came in and I am not so sure how she will do. They tore her rump up really bad and by the time I could grab her out she was already seeping. I have no clue how long they were in there with her before I got to her.
DSC03057-1.jpg

I feel so violated. We had to search for our other girls for 2 hours before they were recovered. The got out of the back yard (thank god we never clipped their wings) and were hiding under the neighbors car.

Here are the pictures of Red Sparkles woulds I am fairly sure she will recover from these.
DSC03055-1.jpg

DSC03056-1.jpg

****I am pleased to announce my chickens are still here with us. The little black one is on antibiotics now because she was starting to smell funny (I was thinking infection) and the red one laid an egg for us today. All my girls except for her have stopped laying eggs but it's about that time of year for them anyhow. Thanks for all of your well wishes and support. ****

Last edited:
Ouch!! Poor thing! I've never had to deal with this but all that I've read said to clean the area very well, put some neosprin the one that doesn't have the pain relief in it and keep her seperated in a dark quite place!! Maybe someone can help you more!! I hope your girl recovers!!

Missi

I am very fortunate I have a friend who has that electrolyte solution who came over to help doctor up my girls. We are using diluted grapefruit seed extract to wash the wounds every hour for now and they are only drinking the electrolyte solution, plus a diluted aspirin in their water as well for pain. They have both eaten and Ebony (the black one) stress laid her egg earlier. Red Sparkle is still holding her egg so I hope she lays it.
The dogs have been picked up by animal control and are being held under a dangerous animal charge. I am so angry and sad.

Sounds like you're doing just what's needed. With a bit of good fortune, they should heal up just fine. I'm so glad for you that they weren't injured worse. Are the dogs known to be violent, or were they just taking advantage of the opportunity? If the owners can be found (or are known), hopefully they'll take better care of their dogs and keep them either penned or fenced on their own property for the dogs' sake as well as for the sake of your chickens and other neighborhood critters.

according to the law in town the one dog I found in the coop with a chicken in his mouth is considered dangerous, now, but the other one can be released to her owner when he/she comes to pick them up (or I should say if). They will have to go to court and prove that their dogs can no longer get out of their yard before the other dog MIGHT be able to be released. Otherwise they will euthenize the dog. It's common place for animals to not be properly penned up in this neighborhood and I am now going to be taking our leash law far more seriously when I see someones dogs running around. I wish I knew whose animals they were though. These were tiny chihuahua dogs that did this. Everyone is making small clucking noises and have been washed several times now. They are eating and drinking as well.

Totally not fair
barnie.gif

Ya know they have leash laws for a reason!!!! You are doing a great job, your girls should heal well!

Hello there--

Sorry to see your hurt babies. We had a dog attack several months ago, our NH red was really torn up, and she is happy and healthy and back with her buddies.
The injured area on our hen was under her wing and included half of the skin on her back. She also had a puncture on her breast area.
The only items I used in her care were a 3 to 1 hydrogen peroxide /water rinse, triple antibiotic ointment, and Spenco second skin pads and gauze. These were the miracle cure for her.
I placed her on a table and covered her head with a towel, rinsed and rinsed with the hydrogen peroxide /water mixture using an oral syringe to squirt and direct it with. Then a pat dry with paper towels, and then plenty of triple antibiotic ointment applied with several q-tips. The puncture was treated with the ointment on a q-tip directly to the wound, and inside the wound.
Then the Second skin (not new skin).It is very soothing and I think really helped with the pain. Lastly, gauze was wrapped around her(funny looking but effective) and she was given yogurt and black oil sunflower seeds as a reward. She was kept on our sunporch in a dog crate and had clean food, water, straw and boss every day. Her wounds were dressed every 24 hours, the Second skin and gauze were stopped after about 6 days ,the rinse was stopped a couple of days later. We continued with the ointment for 2 weeks. The color of her bruises ranged from various shades of yellow to green.
Good luck to you

Last edited:
the girls survived the night! I am grateful for that. ow just to heal their wounds. I am a little concerned about Ebony healing and then having trouble laying her eggs. Is this a possibility? It really looks like they just skinned her bottom with a couple of puncture wounds but she doesn't seem to want to poop. My husband is concerned about her needing to lay and I keep telling him she is going to stop until she is all healed, that's right, right?

Quote:
Since it sounds like you have both dogs in your possesion, I know what I would do with them. Lets just say they would disappear for good and that would be that. It sounds like your chickens are healing well though. Chickens are more resilient than we give them credit for. Good Luck!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom