Chickens were attacked by a dog

bb777

Hatching
Nov 18, 2015
bb777,
My chickens were attacked by a dog, four have died I have two left missing feathers, limping one is drinking a lot of water with runny stool I have given her probiotics and electrolytes in the water. She is eating a little biut my other hen will only eat raw scrambled eggs how long do I have her on scrambled eggs or do I take it away from her so she will eat her regular food?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!!

Sorry your birds were attacked and for your losses.
hugs.gif
When a bird is sick or injured, they can go off their feed. Make sure to keep these two birds warm. Injured birds can go into shock easily. Shock can kill them faster than the injury due to being cold. So 80 degrees Fahrenheit for a day or two with a heat lamp. Monitor the temperature.

Feed sick birds what ever they will eat. Hard boiled eggs are good because they have all the building blocks of life in them. They are loaded with vitamin B's and E which is what a healing bird needs. Eggs make great emergency food and a bird can live on them exclusively for long periods until they heal. Don't worry, the birds won't permanently go off their feed. When they are ready to eat their food, they will.

You can try other things too like rice, chopped up fruit, meal worms, etc... Supportive care is very important during critical times when they are sick or injured to keep them alive while they heal....isolated from the flock, heat, food and water.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Back
Top Bottom