1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens will no longer roost in coop and it is cold-help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by faithp8, Nov 13, 2014.

1. faithp8

faithp8 New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    Hi-we have 16 chickens and recently had to mov the roost inside of their coop. They now will no longer go inside to sleep in the coop and it is cold and is snowing tonight. They have an outside area of the coop and that is where they are sleeping. They have always slept in their coop before. What can/should we do? We are worries about them. Thank you for the help

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would take them all inside the coop tonight and place them on their roost. Lock the door, and leave food and water inside, and leave them there for several days to a week. By then they will know where they need to sleep. If the coop is too small to leave them in 24/7, then you will need to physically put them inside each night at dusk until they go inside on their own. Sometimes a small light on inside the coop at dusk will get them to come in if the coop is dark. Then turn off the light after they are all inside. Timers work well for that.

3. faithp8

faithp8 New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    Welcome to BYC.  I would take them all inside the coop tonight and place them on their roost.  Lock the door, and leave food and water inside, and leave them there for several days to a week.  By then they will know where they need to sleep.  If the coop is too small to leave them in 24/7, then you will need to physically put them inside each night at dusk until they go inside on their own.  Sometimes a small light on inside the coop at dusk will get them to come in if the coop is dark.  Then turn off the light after they are all inside.  Timers work well for that.

4. faithp8

faithp8 New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    Welcome to BYC.  I would take them all inside the coop tonight and place them on their roost.  Lock the door, and leave food and water inside, and leave them there for several days to a week.  By then they will know where they need to sleep.  If the coop is too small to leave them in 24/7, then you will need to physically put them inside each night at dusk until they go inside on their own.  Sometimes a small light on inside the coop at dusk will get them to come in if the coop is dark.  Then turn off the light after they are all inside.  Timers work well for that.
    Thank you for your quick response

5. faithp8

faithp8 New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    Thank you for your quick response

6. Chickenperson13

Chickenperson13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2014
    I lock the doors to my coop every night and open them every morning. I would do what Eggcessive said but do not lock them in coop 24/7 just put them in every night and lock the door and open it in the morning keep doing that and they will figure it out soon and will go in automatically.

7. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    Chickens hate change..... worse than I do....

8. faithp8

faithp8 New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    Thank you everyone. All of the chickens are now safely inside of their coop on the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by