Chickens will not come out of their coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JaneyJ82, Jun 7, 2017.

1. JaneyJ82

JaneyJ82 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2017
    Hi - I'm new to all this and just got my pullets yesterday. Maybe its normal, but they will not come out of their coop and only one of them seems to roost at all. The rest of them just sort of hang out on the floor. They seem terrified and do not like to be handled. They are eating and drinking just fine so that's good. Any suggestions to get them outdoors?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Time, leave the door open when its safe, move the food at the door then a little later just outside the door, etc.

B Redhawk and JaneyJ82 like this.
  3. insane chicken lover 12

insane chicken lover 12 Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2017
    pd-riverman is correct, pullets and roos at that age are timid and need time to learn that you are not a scary monster and that they will be fine good luck xx

JaneyJ82 likes this.
  4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Well with 10,000 hatched and 100's and 100's growed out in a little over 3 years---I sure been there with this type of situation---more than once---LOL.

5. insane chicken lover 12

insane chicken lover 12 Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2017
    :cool::)

PD-Riverman likes this.
  6. JaneyJ82

Jun 2, 2017
    Thank you :) I'll keep working to get them outside. The advice is definitely appreciated.

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Just don't run them out----best to let them do it at their own pace--If you run them out---then you will probably have a worse problem getting them to go back in. I do have a dim light that turns on a little while before dark inside their coop---to Draw them back in at bed time. Some times I might be dealing with a 100 +/- and trying to collect that many to put in the coop at dark is no fun----the light works GREAT but I only allow it to stay on about 2 hrs---little before dark and a little after. A Christmas light timer is Great to use----on at dusk and you can set it for every how many hours you want it on---as said I choose 2.

8. JaneyJ82

Jun 2, 2017
    Good call on the light! I do live in Canada so our summer days are super long, but this will be very useful come fall. They managed to spend a little time outside yesterday evening...getting them back in the coop was quite comical from my husband's perspective.

9. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    No Now----that's what the light is for----so they will go into the lighted coop themself, so your husband does not have to make you Laugh so much.:D

JaneyJ82 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by