Chickens will not go in the house...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gatorridgechics, Oct 3, 2012.

1. gatorridgechics

gatorridgechics Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Missouri
    Hi guys. I have given them long enough it's time I asked this question. I have some free range chickens ( about 25), they were in coops until summer got here and they came of age. Most of them are at least of laying age, with 4 or 5 a little younger. It is a mix of breeds and sexes. We have two large houses they can go in. One is next to the chickens that are in a coop (my layers). For the most part they find someplace to roost at night a few go in the house that is closesest to our house and the feed shed, but NO ONE uses the other house. No matter the weather. All of the houses have food, water, roosting rods, and nesting boxes. But this ONE box no one will use. I will say we did have a hen who used the box when she had 4 young chicks, and she did loose her life just outside the box, since then no one will use it. We cleaned it out and washed it down but still no one will go in. We have tried closing the door and letting them go in the small door, opening the big door, it isn't real high off the ground so that isn't an issue. We have seen them go in during the day to grab some food but they come right back out. We are starting to worry about the weather when it gets cold. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Perhaps you should get them in where you want them to roost with snacks and then keep them inside for two weeks. They are prob just scared, mine were.... there is a reason we say "chicken" when someone is scared lol! Good luck and let us know what works! Oh and are you sure no other chickens are keeping them away ?

3. gatorridgechics

gatorridgechics Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Missouri
    Yeah we have put treats in, and we even tried putting thier food and water only in there. A they will go in to eat but that is it. What is odd is this isn't a "new" house. It is the one that was in their fenced in coop. They grew up in it. They will go in the "new" one but not that one. It is in a new place in the yard, but that place is next to the garden and where they all hang out during the day. It is so odd. We had to put fence on top of the dog kennels because they all choose to roost either ontop of the dog kennels or in with the goats who are next to the dogs. Could they just feel safer being close to the dogs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by