Chickens will not roost.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by glainerussell, Oct 28, 2011.

1. glainerussell

glainerussell New Egg

Sep 5, 2011
    My chickens will not go into their chickent house to roost, they bunch up in one corner of there outside pen. It is getting colder and soon winter will be upon us. I do not think they will survive outdoors. They were peeps in March and lay their eggs in the house and go in to eat but will not spend the night. Help!!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Maybe they are staying outside too late and can't see enough to get into the coop. I find a light helps that (inside the coop), just until they all get in their proper places. I find the sun is setting quicker every day, and they get caught in the dark. They can not see well at all. You could always just place each one inside..

3. glainerussell

glainerussell New Egg

Sep 5, 2011
    I am considering trying to herd them into there house tonight and then block the door so they cannot get back out.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That would be a good idea. Have they always been doing this?

5. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    You may have to place them in the coop yourself after dark a few times. It's what I had to do to get mine to start using their roost poles instead of sleeping in a pile on the ground. So give that a try. They'll pick up the idea eventually and start doing it on their own.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  6. glainerussell

glainerussell New Egg

Sep 5, 2011
    I never realized it before but they have been doing this all along. I will put them up tonight and continue for awhile. I hope this does the trick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by