1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens will peck your eyeball!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cackydoodledoo, Jul 30, 2011.

1. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Good friend of mine had to go to the ER last night because one of her chickens pecked her eyeball. This chicken always climbs on her lap and sometimes sits on her shoulder. Evidently last night she thought that my friend's eyeball looked tasty!! It tore her cornea and she is in quite a bit of pain. Just wanted to let everyone know to be careful when getting your face close to chickens. I will definitely be warning my daughter as she carries them all over kissing and hugging them.

2. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Yep...they are pecking at the reflection. [​IMG] Bad idea to get them around your eyes.

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I am against the shoulder thing. I feel like I'd lose my dominance. Eek, ouch. Your poor friend.

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Guess I am lucky to wear glasses !

5. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Oh my gosh [​IMG] One of my roos pecked my dog's eye! The dog wasn't hurt though. Chickens also peck ears, right in the hole too!

6. SanctusPullus

SanctusPullus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    They also peck moles, freckles, speckles, dots, periods, dangling participles, and hanging chads. [​IMG] Sorry to hear about the cornea damage though, yipes. My 10 year old got pecked in the eye a month or so ago and had a little scratch mark on the white for a few days, lucky that was all.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

There was a post last year I think. Someone mentioned that their uncle lost an eye to a chicken.
    Not worth it at all. [​IMG]

Imps chickens stay on the ground.

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Thanks for posting this, don't know how many times I've read about near misses and/or actual injury resulting from `chicken face'. Many an earring and stones from rings have had to be seined from the `stink' squeezed from the other business end of chooks, as well, following a quick rip with a nip.

Glasses and/or a wide, floppy brimmed hat help prevent opportunistic gouging (just another treat).

Children should be warned to look both ways before crossing a street and to never look at a chicken if it is within striking distance of face.

Eye surgery is expensive.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by