Chickens WIN in California election!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by The Chicken Lady, Nov 5, 2008.

1. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I know it passed, I am here. I voted no on it simply because I felt it was written in a manner that would put farmers out of business here. However, I missed the part that it won't take effect until 2015! That strikes me as strange!

3. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Could that just be to give everyone ample time to gradually make changes that would allow them to learn and implement the required changes in husbandry techniques?

4. debilorrah

Quote:Could that just be to give everyone ample time to gradually make changes that would allow them to learn and implement the required changes in husbandry techniques?

Well, I know it will help some get prepared. I need to read more about the whole thing now that it has passed. I just don't want it to be an economic disaster.

5. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I spoke with a local here in Canada that has battery cage hens about the implications of Prop 2 and he tells me those cages need to be replaced every 4 years or so. He has several barns and does one a year to keep the costs spread out. So I think the time is for the upgrades to be done as the cages need to be changed anyway. If the law came down with a short date the expense of the new cages would just be a result of the law and a huge burden to the farmer. I think it wise to give a transition period to mitigate the costs for the upgrades. Same for the rest of the critters mentioned, build the new veal crates as needed, but to the new standard.

6. debilorrah

I agree - I think that time period is a HUGE help to the small farmers here. And we have ALOT of them.

7. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    This is utterly great. I think as lovers of happy healthy birds, whether we are on the larger or smaller scale of hobbyists, we should really applaud this.

btw one of my sibs lives in Sonoma County, where there are still a lot of chicken/egg farms, and she says only the agribusiness style farms were ever really against this but they bankrolled a lot of misinformation. As Ninja points out above, farmers will need time to change some things, but that's good.

After all, slavery used to help grow cotton a lot cheaper, now, didn't it?!

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Just an apology to the mods... I just saw another topic about this and didn't even realize that this had become incredibly controversial elsewhere on the forum. I definitely didn't start this thread to stir things up, so to speak. I was responding to a blog post I found elsewhere online and didn't see the posts on this topic already here on BYC. [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

I didn't even see another thread about it. Oh well, good! I have had enough controversy to last me until at least next week! [​IMG]

10. debilorrah

I just found it. I think I saw it first thing this morning, and thought this nice friendly one was it. Oops. I am glad I stuck with this one. Many people do feel strongly about as I did - before I knew abut the time period. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by