Chickens winter fun inside

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nevada Sun, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Nevada Sun

Nevada Sun Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Howden, Manitoba, Canada
    Hi,, this might have already been talked about but What kind of things do you all put on the ground inside the coop to keep them happy..I am new to this,, Fist winter with my wonderful Chickens and I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, I hear they won't be going out to much as we get it Very Cold here.. I don't want them to get to bored.. in such a small area..

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Quite a few people use baskets with greens in them, or really well chopped hay. Also hanging up little things like CDs that spin and they peck at. Also, just having plenty of room for them to not get on each others' nerves is good too. Good luck, they may surprise you and go out more than you expect!

3. Nevada Sun

Sep 10, 2012
    Howden, Manitoba, Canada
    Thank you for your response.. I saw in a different thread someone said about spreading corn on the ground so they do not get bored.. so I was curious as to what else as that was a great Idea,, can you use frozen corn thawed? I guess they will go outside but not much I am thinking ,, my shop is about 12 X 16 and 18 chickens..

4. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

spread leaves ... bags and bags and bags of fallen leaves / pine needles - pine straw

5. JNB

JNB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Graham, WA.
    Heres a few ideas I use.....

Cabbage tether ball..... they love it and keeps them busy. Just hang the cabbage from a string or small chain.

Scatter scratch or BOSS on the floor coop just a couple handfuls.. They will scratch up the seed and also turn the floor material . If you use the Deep littler method... this is kinda beneficial.

If it will work in your coop a shallow dish of warm water.. float apple quarters and meal worms in it.. Kinda like bobbing for apples :) Also gives them a warm drink on cold days.

I also bag up leaves or store them in our barn to add to the coop or run during the winter.

Also if you have one an Onion bag filled with grass, loose small sections of hay, leaves... hung up in the coop can keep them busy. They like to pull the pieces out of the holes in the sack. Just keep an eye on the bag so they dont get too rough and pull strings..

I also use Flock Blocks by Purina.. when we have a stretch of cold and I know they will be indoors alot.

My chickens will go outside even on the coldest days... I often make them warm oatmeal on really cold days to feed in the morning. Scatter seeds or scratch on top of snow for them to scratch threw. They are amazingly smart about going out in the cold and rain. Knowing how long to stay out and when to go in..

1 person likes this.
  6. Nevada Sun

Sep 10, 2012
    Howden, Manitoba, Canada
    Thank you everyone,, this is great and makes me feel so much better, What are Flock Blocks? I use Straw for the bottom of their house and wood shavings under their perch hopefully enough on the floor , thanks again I appreciate the responses.

7. Nevada Sun

Sep 10, 2012
    Howden, Manitoba, Canada
    Also what is Boss?

8. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Flock blocks are pressed cubes of seeds and other stuff chickens like. You just hang it up, and they tear into it. I've seen them at TractorSupply. BOSS, black oil sunflower seed. Something else chickens like.
    Jack

9. Nevada Sun

Sep 10, 2012
    Howden, Manitoba, Canada
    I feed the wild birds shelled sunflower seeds so I guess that would work .Thanks again for all the help,,I will be getting all of these things for my 17 layers and 1 very happy Rooster!

10. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens love to dust bathe. Get a huge pan and fill it with dirt. They will wallow in it for hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by