Chickens with additudes!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fussy8, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Hi everyone i am new to Backyard chickens site and to raising chickens!! I have 8 chickens who are spoiled rotten! My oldest hens are 6 months old and haven't started laying eggs!! What am i suppose to do? We are feeding them layer feed and they have lots of sunlight,water, a perch with two levels and two nesting boxes. They are not free range because we have LOTS of cats that run around our neighborhood. We have 2 Americana's, 2 White crested polish, 2 silkies, a silver lace and a Buff orpington I love my girls!![​IMG]
    [​IMG] PLEASE HELP ME!!![​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Just be patient. My Orps didn't lay till they were almost 7 months old. Some lay sooner. It could also be the heat. Either way, there's not much you can do but wait.

Oh, and [​IMG]

3. Peeper

Peeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Little Rock, AR
    Just hang in there and you will be suprised at how excited you will be when you finally do find that first egg!

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

My Easter Eggers (aka americanas) did not lay until they were about 30 weeks, so please be patient. I have some purebred ameraucanas that are about 20 weeks right now, and they are obviously not mature enough to lay (they still look like "little girl pullets"). Silkies oftentimes don't start laying until around 8-9 months. Same with Polishes, or so I am told (just got my first Polish chick a month ago). I have a delawegger (Delaware/EE cross) that just started laying Monday.

You will be so excited when those first eggs start coming! They will be really small at first, but don't despair, they DO get bigger!

5. Fussy8

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Thank you sooo much for the fast answers!! Also thank you for helping me i was about to start giving up! hahahhaha Thank you!!

6. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

You gotta yell at them and threaten to cull if you don't start seeing some egg action!!!!!

7. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Quote:Then hang a picture of the freezer near the pop door!

8. Fussy8

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    HAHAHAHAAH!!!!! you guys are funny mabye it would work!!

9. Fussy8

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    ok sooo i know i am not the smartest chicken in the coop but how do you do a whole new question?? Also my coop is full of lots of feathers everywhere but they don't look any less feathery fluffy. The last thing is i went in the coop just yesterday and i found one of my chickens has made a nest in the nesting box but didn't leave me anything!! what the crap!!!!![​IMG]

10. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Quote:Nesting behavior is a good sign. It means your pullets are near to reaching POL (Point Of Lay).

Also, all chickens lose some feathers, especially smaller feathers as their "grown-up chicken feathers" are coming in. My yard is FULL of feathers, though nobody is molting.

To start a new question, go to the forum where you want to ask the question, and click on "Start A New Topic" on the right side of the screen.

So glad you are enjoying your chickens. Aren't they wonderful? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by