Chickens with bunnies?

Jolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Northern California
I have a bunny that is in a hutch....however i hate that he's caged.....so i would like to put him in the run with the hens later on. If i introduce them early do you think it would work out?

Anyone have experience with hens and bunnies living together?

Hi jolyn,
I was thinking the same thing to keep the hens company, but a friend of mine told me the hens will peck the bunny.
And also the rabbit could give the chickens some parasites.

Good luck with the bunny,
Ed

The breeder I bought one of my bunnies from did just that. She has a few chickens that reside in her rabbitry, and she has an aviary next to the rabbitry, where there are some chickens, along with several other types of birds. She lets the bunnies run around in the aviary, and they do just fine.

I know somebody that lets her bunny out in the run with her chickens and they do fine. I, myself, have a bunny (in the house!!) along with a house chicken and they basically ignore each other. I had two other chickens in the house as well but they are now relegated to the great outdoors. When they were with the bunny, they didn't really react to each other at all. I think it would be fine to put the bunny with the chickens. Heaven knows, bunnies need to hop around and enjoy doing binkies, etc. Just keep an eye out until you are sure all is well. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom