chickens with cocci just a quick question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by a123andpoof, Jun 8, 2011.

1. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    The girls have been on Corid for 2 1/2 days. But they still have runny poo with blood. When will this go away? I was told to stop dosing at 5 days. Will their still be bloody poo? And if there is, is that normal? Also is runny black and white poo that looks a little foamy normal for chickens with cocci? I noticed some in the pen yesterday.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hmm, how old are your girls? Usually, after 17 weeks, chickens have built up their immunities against cocci......If they're young, I would just keep giving them the Corid, but also add some duramayacin. The Corid kills the cocci organisms, and then there is often some irritation caused by the cocci that causes an infection, so some duramayacin in the drinking water would also help with that.

Best of luck!
    Sharon

3. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    They are only 12, 9, and 5 weeks old. Would I give them the duramycin after I dose with the corid? That seems like a lot of medicine to give to such young girls. They are all healthy acting and such. Specially after I put a new waterer out in the pen. I mostly just want to know if its normal that their is still blood in the poo.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think it is normal. Mine had the bloody stool for a few days. And they all recovered nicely. If your climate is hot, muggy and wet, that is the perfect breeding environment for cocci. So if you don't want to go with the duramayacin, that's Ok. As long as they're acting perky and normal, I think things will be fine for them.

I would just make sure to keep their brooder or coop area very clean and dry if possible.

Take care!
    Sharon

5. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Okay, thanks. I am keeping it dry, and I scoop out all poo every morning. I now a lot of people bleach daily, but next Mon I am going to just bleach everything. And clean it all up. But if things are wet I take it out and put down fresh. Yes it is very humid, and hot and it goes up and down alot. But thankfully they are all doing well! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by