chickens with coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ksmith, May 24, 2010.

1. ksmith

ksmith Songster

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    my chickens are 3 1/2 months old and seem like they have had coccidiosis for over a month. I tried sulmate, but that seemed to help for a little while and then it came back, so now i am trying corid, and have just started it today. do you have any more tips on how to keep it away. it seems like i can get it to go away and them in about a week it comes right back. I rake out their pen (which they are locked up in at night) nearly every day and try to keep everything as clean as possible. my mom wants to know it when they start to lay and they are not on corid or sulmate, and are free of coccidiosis if theie eggs will be ok to eat? and what if they still have coccidiosis? will the eggs be ok to eat? thank you so much![​IMG]

2. ksmith

ksmith Songster

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Please help!! I need to know if the eggs will be safe!! Also is it ok that I just added 2 tablespoons of corid to one gallon of water!! Please reply!! Thanks!

3. Rockysmama

Rockysmama In the Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    I am a fairly new chicken mom myself but I have had to deal with coccidia in my flock. I did not use Corrid but I think you do need to avoid eating the eggs for a few weeks after treating them. I would search the net or call your local tractor supply store. As far as what will work, I can tell you what I did. Mine got them at about 1 1/2 years. My vet said they are more likely to get worms (or sick in general) if they are stressed in anyway which could include things like predator staring at them even if the chicks are safe. I orered something called Kocci Free from www.wolfcreekranch. It's an herbal anti-paraste and you don't need to avoid the eggs at all. Second I fed them Purina Medicated feed which is designed for preventing/treating coccidia in chicks not hens (only because it's not a laying feed), but I did it anyway. It works by blocking thiamine in the hen's body and the coccidia can't survive without it. You can also keep eating the eggs with this. I also spread diatomaceous earth on the floor of the chicken's yard. I think this kills the parasites too when they eat it but truthfully I forget; I just read that it was helpful. For the Cocci Free, I gave it by dropper 2X/day for 10 days to the one chicken that clearly had symptoms, then 5 days off then days on for three cycles (you have to kill the adults, wait 5 days so the eggs hatch, then kill again, etc.). For the rest of the flock I followed the same schedule but put it in the water. But I only put it in the water once daily.
    I took stool samples tot he vet several times afterwards because I was paranoid --the last time I took three specimens from different parts of the pen and coop. Everything came back negative. Hope this helps and good luck.

4. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    put some ACV in the water immediately! I tbsp. per gallon

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Could you post the symptoms that you are having??? What makes you think it's cocci??

I just really don't think chicks can live for months with cocci.....they get weak and die pretty fast when it takes over.
    Also it's one of those things they build up immunity to, so they "shouldn't" get it again so easily.

Just my .02 anyway.

6. ksmith

ksmith Songster

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Well they are all eating and drinking good, but a couple of them will occationally just lay down and take a nap. I will also see very faint red spots in their poo. They are not on medicated feed, should I put them on medicated feed??

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

It sounds more like normal cecal poop, not cocci. Your birds are near laying age, and will need layers feed. No, I would not put them on medicated feed, and I would not use anymore Corid or Sulmet. They are too old to have cocci. Yes, it does happen, but not often and especially not since you have already treated them.

This is just my guess on your situation.

8. Lady~Araucana

Lady~Araucana In the Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I just experianced Cocci in my flock of 7 week old chicks and let me tell you it was horrible! It hit so fast and they were dying in groups as large a 6 a day. Your case really doesnt sound like Cocci to me. My Flock was pooping blood no poo color to it at all just like blood running out of them. sorry to be so graphic.I lost 13 chicks in a matter of about 4 days. It is a horrible disease and i hope you never have to experiance it!!Sorry edited to add that my chicks would not eat hardly at all when they were sick and were also drinking very little,i was lucky to get enough of the Corid in them to save the 7 that are doing alot better now!

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  9. cubbycoop

cubbycoop Hatching

May 25, 2010
    Quote:ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar?

10. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    Yeah. Last year i had cocci with my turkey poults even when they were on medicated feed, put in ACV and it stopped. 2 died before i put it in though =[

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by