chickens with CRD treated, can they be rehomed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wleigh1021, Jan 13, 2017.

1. wleigh1021

wleigh1021 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2016
    New Jersey
    I recently had some chickens showing CRD symptoms (about 2 weeks ago). 2 were sneezing and had raspy breath, but no runny nose or watery eyes. They were separated and given tylan injections. 2 seemed like they were having trouble breathing but when I listened to their lungs they didn't sound congested and were allowed to stay with the rest of the flock outside. The 5 chickens outside were all given oral antibiotics. 3 chickens never showed any signs of illness. All are back to normal and happy.

My question is can these 3 chickens that never showed any symptoms safely be rehomed (which was my original plan for them as they got older). Or would that potentially put someone else's flock at risk and all should eventually be culled?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would not rehome chickens that may have been exposed to a possible respiratory disease. Things like MG, ILT, or coryza can make a whole flock carriers for life, whether they showed symptoms or not. Infectious bronchitis may cause the flock to be carriers for up to a year. This is how many people get sick chickens, and infect their healthy chickens. How long had the chickens sneezed and sounded raspy? Usually with most viruses they will continue to sneeze or snick for a month, whether treated with antibiotics or not. While your chickens may have been reacting to an irritant, mold, or dust, without testing, you can't really tell that it was not a respiratory disease. Here is a list of the common diseases to read:
    http://articles.extension.org/pages/68290/poultry-diseases-of-the-respiratory-system
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. wleigh1021

wleigh1021 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2016
    New Jersey
    Thank you for the info. They were only showing signs for a couple of days before treatment. I did also add more ventilation to their coop and removed bedding (which was damp) and cleaned/disinfected the coop and replaced the bedding.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully, the damp or dusty conditions just were the cause. If you do decide to re-home them, I would explain the details.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by