1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens with feathers missing, etc.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prinellie, Oct 2, 2015.

1. prinellie

prinellie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    I have had chickens for several years. Mostly Red Star. It seems that when they are 2-3 years old they lose their feathers and sometimes they grow back and other times (mostly) they don't. Right now I have a couple hens that their backs are pretty bare. My Roo has feathers missing on his neck and some of his tail feathers have fallen out. A couple of the other hens have lost feathers but are finally regrowing them. I am worried with winter coming on with the ones that are bald. I am feeding Scratch and Peck feed because it is NON-gmo and no soy or corn. It is the layer feed. They also get to free range about half a day (have to watch for the bobcats [​IMG]). I was thinking that maybe there is not enough protein (maybe?) in the feed so I give them treats like black oil sunflower and sometimes mealworms. I have not checked at night for 'bugs'. I was at my niece's house a few weeks ago and her chickens (several different types) are half again bigger than any that I have ever had! Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have a new flock of BO's that I keep separate and I don't want them to do the same thing... ideas?? Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They sound like they are molting, as well as a bit bare backed from the rooster, make sure your feed has decent protein amounts, 16-20% is best, perhaps putting them on a non medicated grower for a few months, sex links are high egg producers and molting takes a lot out of them as well, so up their protein and give them time, they will continue to lose feathers and grow them back for a couple months.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by