chickens with goats

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BarnChick, May 11, 2011.

1. BarnChick

BarnChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Spirit Lake
    Hope this is the right posting area. I want to get a goat or two, will they be okay in with chickens, or keep separated?

2. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    I know someone that has a large pen with chickens, geese, ducks, turkeys and goats. They all seem to get along great and it is so facinating to see all that they have mixed together. I also wonder if the larger animals help to deter hawks.

3. lfreem2

lfreem2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Waxhaw, NC
    Goats and chickens get along fine. I have two goats and 17 chickens! Enjoy!

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    They get along, but the goats will eat any chicken feed they can get at. They mostly ignore each other, but I did have one chicken get stepped on by a goat and broke its foot. So it can be done, but it can have drawbacks. I have about 20 adult goats, and half a million chickens;-)

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:That. You'll have to figure out the feeding situation. And don't underestimate how determined a goat can be when it involves feed!

6. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Goats will eat chicken feed and it is NOT good for them. But otherwise yes, you can keep them together. My goat tries to play with the chickens. She is a pygmy and she will go up behind a chicken and butt it, but she does it VERY gently!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by