Chickens with goose

hchap311

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 28, 2014
So I have a domestic, indoor goose. He's 8 years old. Very healthy. Recently my husband and I rescued a wild baby chic with a broken foot. We want to release it soon, since it is all healed, but now it won't leave us.

I know the masses say indoor chickens are not okay, but until we get it figured out how to move her outside, I am asking if there are any diseases the baby chic can give to my goose? She has never been around other chickens. I know salmonella is a risk, can geese get that? Thanks for all your help!!! Stories of a bird lover:rolleyes:

So I have a domestic, indoor goose. He's 8 years old. Very healthy. Recently my husband and I rescued a wild baby chic with a broken foot. We want to release it soon, since it is all healed, but now it won't leave us.

I know the masses say indoor chickens are not okay, but until we get it figured out how to move her outside, I am asking if there are any diseases the baby chic can give to my goose? She has never been around other chickens. I know salmonella is a risk, can geese get that? Thanks for all your help!!! Stories of a bird lover:rolleyes:
Mixing species always carries inherent risks, but I have kept a mixed aviary for over 2 years now with zero “disease” issues. And that has included chickens with quail, chickens with turkeys, ducks with quail, pheasant etc. I’ve not had geese yet but I’m assuming similar situation.

My geese used to throw any chickens that got in their way. I had a little banty roo that would challenge them. They would just pick him up and toss him. So be careful of that.

Back
Top Bottom