chickens with hairballs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peony07, Mar 21, 2009.

1. peony07

peony07 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Ferndale WA
    How early do chicks start "practicing" crowing? Two of my two week chicks started something a bit strange, just today. They stop and open their beaks pretty wide but don't peep. It looks like a chick would look if she was coughing up hair balls. Or, like a rooster would look if he was practicing crowing. What is this behavior?

2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yawning?

3. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Mine do this too. I just assumed they were yawning. I'd be curious to know if it's something else.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Sometimes they will get a bit of food caught in their throat and will do that. I always tell mine....get a drink sweetie....when I see them doing that. [​IMG] If it is a baby roo trying to crow, you will know it. When you hear someone strangling your babies, you probably have a little roo in the bunch. And they can start VERY early (a few weeks) or really late. [​IMG]

5. peony07

peony07 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Ferndale WA
    They do it pretty frequently, like every minute or even less for a few minutes, then stop. Then not fr awhile. It is probably something in their little chicken throats. I hope they aren't roos, I'm too attached!

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I always try to think of what it would feel like to swallow chick starter without chewing it up.....and yeah, I would probably do that too. LOL I am sure you have nothing to worry about in the roo department for now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by