Chickens with Mareks disease

chickenlady4321

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Hi, I think some of my pullets have Mareks disease and we had just put them in with my older hens. Because we did that will they get Mareks too? Also is there anything we can do for the pullets that have Mareks or should we cull them?

Hi, I think some of my pullets have Mareks disease and we had just put them in with my older hens. Because we did that will they get Mareks too? Also is there anything we can do for the pullets that have Mareks or should we cull them?

Older birds are generally resistant to Marek's, or have already been exposed even before you put the young birds in. There may be one or two that show obvious symptoms, but they likely won't be affected. Some people have had success treating Marek's Disease with St. Johns Wart and other medications; there is a thread on BYC about this. But it might be better to cull them, as most birds will Marek's slowly starve to death as they become more paralyzed.

Alright thanks I am glad to hear my older birds may not be affected. We will probably cull the birds that show signs and start giving chicks vaccines in the future.

Back
Top Bottom