1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens with multiple symptoms, can't seem to diagnose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dottysfarm, Jan 25, 2011.

1. dottysfarm

dottysfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Eau Claire, WI
    Hello all, ok, this may seem like rambling and I am sorry but I do not know the best way to explain it all... So here goes... In May of last year I bought baby chicks from a swap. Those babies were sick and ended up dying as well as infecting and killing almost all the rest of my flock. There were five roosters left out of 20 birds. 4 of those 5 roosters were butchered quite some time after the whole ordeal. At the end of May a friend and I ordered chicks and ducks from McMurray. I lost many due to fox in the area. Then I met another good friend and started getting chickens from her. (My other friend has gotten chickens from both of us) Several months ago I one of those chickens I got from her was a silkie roo. This roo is so precious to me but he does some odd things. Occasionally he will walk around with his head just bobbling around like one of those bobble-head dolls. I thought it odd but the thought went no further until today. Then my new-found friend (lets call her Sally) noticed one of my "McMurray ordered" chickens was not acting normal. This Pheonix hen would just sit still and fluff her feathers and was quite light in weight even though she ate and was active. Sally took her home and tried to nurse her to health but there was no change so i just took her back. Then, this late fall, I went into my coop to gather eggs and found my Mille Fleur Duccle hen (gotten from Sally) on the floor in the corner of the coop. When I picked her up, she was not breathing right. She would over extend her neck and make a funny noise as though she had Laryngotracheitis. She never had any signs of illness prior to that day. She died that night. When winter came I put all the chickens (36 of them) in the coop because I live in WI. Prior to this point I was cleaning the coop on a nearly weekly basis (the litter is hay). At this point I got the idea that I should let the litter pile a little to provide extra warmth for my birds. Not too long ago my "alpha" rooster died. I assumed it was because he was old (which he was) but now I wonder if he was sick. He went very slowly. He lost some of his enthusiasm and one day I decided to try to pick him up (he NEVER allowed that before). He was not nearly as heavy as he once was. Then one day he was laying on the coop floor and was dead in the morning. Nothing much happened for a while after that. Then I had 2 birds start sneezing. I began feeding garlic. (Btw I make a regular habit of feeding garlic and acv). I got another rooster from Sally. I think I have discovered that he has worms. He is in a separate area from the rest of my flock (all but 2 hens to breed). Now, here's my real turmoil. Since Sunday, I have discovered worms in the stool where this rooster is, I have found bugs on him and on one of my youngest pullets, my phoenix hen I mentioned a while back has suddenly and drastically taken a turn for the worse, and 2 of my young birds have "sticky" eyes. The phoenix hen quit eating and is now acing the same way my "alpha" rooster acted shortly before his death. Aaaaah! I am ready to pull my hair out. I have a mom hen and her I baby in a cage in my basement as well as three other cages with the three sickest birds... Btw, the youngest baby with the bugs (I think mites) is one of the ones with the sticky eyes. I am reading my poultry books and fear that I have more than one disease going on. I just began feeding a daily regimen of flax, fiber (psyllium husk), garlic, and DE. What I usually feed is a combination of oats with a little corn as well as kitchen scraps. I also feed oyster shell and have been feeding grit since winter started. I used to feed rye also but the chickens didn't seem to like it. Over the summer I fed the wheat I had planted. I believe some of this may have come from the pile up of litter that I allowed and sounds like that could have caused aspergillosis (brooder pneumonia). The coop has been cleaned a few times since then. I have traded birds with my two friends too many times and think this has added to flock stress. Also, Sally has one roo with a terrible case of mites and had a couple of hens die recently. My other friend has not had any birds die of unkown causes since summer. I have yet to hear back from her if she found worms or bugs in her flock. What do I do? Does anyone think these cases are linked together? Where could I have picked all this stuff up from?

2. dottysfarm

Jun 22, 2010
    Eau Claire, WI
    Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that the baby chicks from the swap had sticky runny eyes and my adults that died had swollen eyes.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Num. one NEVER put chickens in with your flock when you get them. Quarantine them for 30 days to prevent unseen disease from entering. Don't ever buy or trade chicks that look the lest bit sick ever.
    2--Clean out coops with clorox throughly. You do have disease and it seems like a bad one. A full rest from chicks and hens for 30 to 90 days would be ideal but if you are like me you love the ones you have. The hens or roos that have been sick and survived sound like they may be carriers. All hens and chicks put in with them will catch this. Its so sad. You maybe able to use antibiotic or mix clorox water ( 2 cups clorox to 1 gal of water and then use 1 or 2 tbs of this in their drinking water. I feel sad for you and really wish I could help more. Please do not sell or get anymore chicks until this problem is solved. You need to quarantine your area and the others do too if they are having problems. You need to get in touch with your local agr. dept and get someone to check you flock for disease and then you will have a better idea of where you stand. I lost my first 6 hens that I had bought at an auction. Never again. [​IMG] Take care gloria Jean

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    If you have mites or some sort of bug go ahead and dust/use ivomec (or whatever you prefer) that is the fastest thing to deal with. Then you could worm them (second fastest(check out dawg53's posts for info)) and then do a search for respiratory illnesses and see what antibiotic to start them on.
    sharon

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You're correct, you have many problems. First of all if you get chicks/chickens from anyone...I dont care if they are your friends or not...you need to quarantine the new birds and not introduce them to your 'old' flock. Most people quarantine new birds for 30 days...there is no time limit as to quarantining birds, alot of people quarantine for longer periods. This gives them time to visually inspect the newbies for lice/mites, snotting/sneezing, treating for worms and any other issues that the newbies might have. When you introduced the newbies to your old flock, they became infected and died. The only safe way to obtain new birds is by hatching eggs or ordering chicks from a hatchery, even that is not 100% safe, but much safer than chickens from swap meets etc...
    You currently have chickens loaded with lice or mites. I recommend you dust them all with sevin dust. You must also dust their house, roosts and nests. You must repeat dusting everything in 10 days including all your chickens to kill eggs that have hatched since the first dusting.
    You currently have a worm infestation as well. I recommend you worm them with wazine. Then 10 days later reworm them with a broad spectrum wormer like valbazen or safeguard.
    Between the lice/mites and worms...this is what is killing your chickens. until you get rid of these parasites, they will continue to kill your chickens.
    For your respiratory issues, I recommend Tylan 50 injectable. Give them one tenth of a cc/ml per pound of body weight orally. Give it to them once a day for 3 days.
    Garlic, ACV, DE, and all that other stuff will do nothing for your chickens at this point, time to use the big guns. Good luck.

7. dottysfarm

Jun 22, 2010
    Eau Claire, WI
    Thanks for the responses. I called one of the state diagnosticians and he wants me to get blood samples sent to him to check for MG as well as get some fecal matter tested to find out the kind of parasite I have.

My question/problem is this.... I am allergic to ALOT of stuff. I am extremely allergic to bleach and midly allergic to other chemicals... my vet dusted my cat with lice powder and I got a bloody nose every time i held him until I washed the stuff off.

Any organic stuff I can do? I put coconut oil with some tea tree oil mixed in on the one bird I found mites on and the mites were gone the next day. If I have to buy a respirator and use the chemicals, I will, but I know that there is powerful organic stuff out there too.

I am going to call my vet today and also the state diagnostician again and figure out if I am going to send in birds for necropsy or if I can afford to have my vet draw blood.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    If you want to avoid dust you can use Ivomec pour on for the bugs and it kills worms too. The caution would be whether they have an overload of worms which could be risky using the ivomec without first worming with wazine...I used it on mine before I knew to use wazine first. However...if you don't do something soon you will definitely lose more chickens...

9. carolpeep

carolpeep New Egg

Jan 27, 2011
    If I were you I would immediately add Diatomaceous Earth, Food Grade, to their diet. Go to Google and get all the information about DE that you can. The Chinese have used it for 3000 years. I put it in their food and nest boxes, and all around the edge of the hen house and coop. It will handle internal parasites, kill other bugs, within 24 hours. Gets rid of mites. It is organic. Cheapest place I found was ordering through Amazon, the comapny is AG Organics. This may not cure your birds if they are viral or bacterial tainted. But for general daily health I truly love DE. Also we add one teaspoon apple cider vinegar to each quart of their drinking water which I clean out daily. Cannot use apple cider vinegar in metal waterers though.

Food grade DE is safe for humans and many use add it as a dietary supplement daily. I do. Go to earthworks.com and check out their information. Good luck with your chickens. Feel really bad for you.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Are you feeding them any feed made for chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by