Chickens with no feathers near vents

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JaimeGoulart, Jul 7, 2010.

1. JaimeGoulart

JaimeGoulart Hatching

Jul 7, 2010
    Almost all of my chickens have no feathers around their vents. I have no rooster. What is this and what can I do ? Also what is it caused by?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. paddock36

paddock36 Songster 9 Years

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Not sure if that is caused by mites or not but I bought a hen that had the same problem and I dusted her with DE really good and then her feathers all grew back. Maybe you could try that.

3. farmer geek

farmer geek In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Your chickens may be pecking their feathers to ease laying. It also may be a sign of stress. Try to make sure your chickens have enough oyster shells and nutrients in their diet, to ease laying. Good Luck!!!!!

4. JaimeGoulart

JaimeGoulart Hatching

Jul 7, 2010
    My chickens are free to eat shells I have a container in the coop.[​IMG]

5. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    this is normal for layer types. it also helps relieve heat from them. if the skin thats showing through is shiny red, you are just fine. if there are mites. there will be a mass of black looking "flea dirt" type material and with close inspection you will see tiny ''dots'' moving around.

some people cut all the feathers off both sexes of their brood fowl. makes the act of breeding easier. so they say. i dont buy it. but it does help with the heat.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG] Agreed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: