Chickens with one swollen eye. What's causing it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThePamperedPullet, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We are perplexed. Many people come to us for help with their poultry and this one we just have not come up with a good answer for.

Age of chicken doesn't matter. It seems that it happens to the young and old alike.
    One eye swells shut and the other looks fine.
    No smell but it is definately an infection.
    No runny nose
    Eating and drinking are normal.
    Poop is normal.
    Seems to effect the left eye in most birds first.
    If left alone, will create a huge hard core that can be plucked out of eye but leaves the bird blind in that eye.
    Run the gambit of medications with Terramycin Eye Ointment not providing relief.
    Amoxicillin seems to help the best with some birds recovering but not all.
    This seems to be a wide spread problem with no relation between flocks.

Anybody have any knowledge as to what is causing this and what course of treatment is being taken?
    Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thank You

2. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Tre some Sulfadimethoxine and it will help. Disenfect all your water containers with bleach. I use the bleach 16x1 and then rinse and let dry. Don

3. ThePamperedPullet

Thanks Don for your reply. We always highly suggest bleach water washing of all the feeders and waterers in a situation such as this along with isolating the animal. I know of a couple of local people who have tried the Sulfadimethoxine with little result.
    Anybody got more ideas?

4. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:Problem is most people do not know what aliments it works with. I have over 50 years of experience with poultry. Don

5. ThePamperedPullet

Quote:Problem is most people do not know what aliments it works with. I have over 50 years of experience with poultry. Don

Thank You Don
    What do we call this ailment so that I can pass it on to others? What dosage would you suggest for a heavy breed verses a bantam breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by