Chickens with Rabbits

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by steffpeck, Feb 16, 2009.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Is it o.k. to have chickens with rabbits? I have one rabbit in a large (20x20) fenced area with a house for shelter. I need to separate a roo as he started to attack my son tonight and he is fighting with the other roo's and wondered if he would be o.k. in with the rabbit?

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I know people have done it with hens...i do. and my inspiration was www.hencam.com wait until daylight hours to check, her webcam is off when it gets dark. It'll give you an idea of a workable set up.

doh' I shoulda paid closer attention to the rooster thing. Yeah, I dunno...if he's agressive towards the hens he could be to the bunny too...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Sounds like a rotten roo I would keep a close eye on him with the bunny make sure he dose not attack the bunny

4. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

If the roo is attacking one odds are it will attack the other. Bunny's don't have too many defenses.

5. citalk2much

Dec 22, 2008
    My daughters cat would disagree with that statement LOL

6. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Quote:A rabbit could easily make "shredded chicken". They use their back feet with nails and kick. They will also "box" with their front paws. They are a formidable opponant. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. What breed of rabbits do you guys have? My mini rex's are so mild and gentile.

I believe you, just never seen an aggressive rabbit. (yet I am sure)

8. citalk2much

Dec 22, 2008
    I have lionheads they are very sweet just did not see it the cats way and showed the cats who was boss they hop anywhere near the cats now and the big bad cats run LOL it is funny. They are bigger then a mini Rex

9. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    We have a rex rabbit, , he is gentle, but he will defend himself if needed. He has before. My roo is not mean to the hens, he is actually quite nice to them. He finds them treats and is pretty gentle with them. He is fighting with one of the other roo's, and my biggest concern is him going after my son. I really want to keep him for breeding purposes, I just want him separated from my other chickens so that my kids can go get eggs without being afraid. I want to make sure that he will be ok with the rabbit, I didn't know if he could contract something if he ate rabbit poop or something.

If he will be ok in there, then I think I will keep him in there and allow conjugal visits with the girls. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by