Chickens with Respiratory Infections

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mikki717, Dec 13, 2016.

1. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    So here I go... I have 4 hens that I have had for only 2 weeks, and they are all sick. I started them on Cephalexin 2 days ago when I noticed one had a runny nose, but they are all rattling, coughing, and have swollen eyes.

I ran to get Tylan 50 at the feed store before they closed, and now I'm just waiting for my daughter to get home so I can have her hold a flashlight.

My last flock were all raised from chicks, so I never had any illness issues. These 4 I got as adults. If I'm reading the Threads correctly, they may have symptom improvement, but always carry the virus. My question is, should I cull them and start over in a few months with fresh chicks, or is my area a "hot zone" forever now? Is this something I'll have to watch for forever?

I also havea Green Cheek Conure inside, and I would hate to see her get sick too. I think I'll have my daughter care and move her from sleep to day cage for the next week until the hens are better.

What do you all think?[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'd cull what with you having a parrot. If it's mycoplasma, your parrot can 100% get it from your chickens and you can carry it in to her on your shoes, clothes, hair, etc. And your chickens would always have it and could be shedding it at any time, and if your parrot gets it, just like with chickens, there is no cure. This is all info from my avian vet when I had a mycoplasma scare.

If it is mycoplasma, it'll live for a few months in the chicken poop and then die. It's also fairly susceptible to bleach so bleaching the coop after culling would help clear it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by