Chickens with snot coming from their beaks. Help ASAP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andypettis3370, Oct 30, 2013.

1. andypettis3370

andypettis3370 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    I had a trio of RIR and bought some others from a sale the other day. MY rooster started with snot and sounds raspy when breathing. Now one of the new hens is starting to do the same. I started him on Tetroxy HCA-280. I started the hens on the same thing today. Is there anything else I need to do or will this be enough.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Seriously? Put them down. Don't treat. Snot means he has a carrier disease. Antibiotics won't cure him and if it's a virus, they won't even fix the symptoms. Auctions and flea markets are mine fields when it comes to buying chickens.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  3. andypettis3370

Oct 17, 2013
    He was fine till the others was put in with them. He started out sneezing the had some snot start coming out. It couldn't be just a virus that will clear up with the antibiotics?

4. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG] From Ohio.

im not familliar with tetroxy, i have never used it. if its for respiratory illnesses its probably fine.

give 1-2 tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar in a gallon of water for 3 days along with the antibiotics. after the treatment give a probiotic or a small amount of yogurt to aid in rebuilding stomach flora.

i usually use Tylan as an antibiotic, just in case the tetroxy doesn't work. i cannot say if one is better than the other.

if the eyes swell again, do not hatch chicks or sell eggs for hatching purposes. it could be a chronic illness that is spread through eggs.

5. andypettis3370

Oct 17, 2013
    What can you use to treat this?

6. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    i didnt realize speckled hen had posted, she is by far better at dealing with this than i am. and as a more commercial grower i do support her advice totally.

7. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    some of these illnesses are not treatable, thats why i told you to not sell any eggs (for hatching). any chickens you bring to your flock later will probably catch it from the ones you have now - even if they aren't showing symptoms.

anytime you buy chickens from a show or swap, quarentine them for a month. if they show any signs of troubles, dont mix them with your flock. when i first got into chickens, we bought some easter eggers from a swap. they were infected with coryza, and cost us the rest of our flock.

8. andypettis3370

Oct 17, 2013
    There has got to be a way to get them well.

9. andypettis3370

Oct 17, 2013
    I got them on the meds and I guess all I can do is see what happens from here. This is not what I wanted to hear.

10. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    you can treat them and mask the symptoms. but you will have to start vaccinating any new chickens added to your flock. this decision is yours, but if you ever wanted to market eggs or chicks; this can put a halt on your plans in a hurry.

the treatment i listed above will get rid of the symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by