Chickens with worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenKeep01, Jul 2, 2016.

1. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    My chickens have gotten worms so i gave them some ACV to try to cure them it seems to of worked but just to be sure i want to give the some garlic but i dont know how much to give them i have 3 chickens

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What type of worms do they have? Did you see them?
    How old are your chickens?

You can take a fecal sample to your vet to have a fecal float test to positively confirm what kind(s) of worms you are dealing with.

Here is some of the most common de-wormers that are used:
    Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10 days for each chicken or Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row.

De-worming chickens and medication information:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-worming.html

Natural prevention article:
    http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/04/pumpkin-soup-nasturtiums-natural.html

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    my chickens are about 20 weeks i didn't see the worms but they have been showing signs of having worms but the ACV seems to have worked i just want to give them garlic to be sure but i don't know how much to give them

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What signs/symptoms are you seeing?
    As far as how much garlic, each chicken keeper has their own method or dosage, so you may need to research and find what works for you.

5. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    I've only seen one sign but I'm not sure if it's real or from a crap website it dirty eggs we have been getting a lot lately

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I've never heard of dirty eggs=worms so I can't say one way or another.

You may want to investigate further to see if someone is pooping in the nesting boxes, if someone has a bum that needs to be cleaned up and fluff trimmed or if they are carrying poo/mud into the nesting boxes and getting it on the eggs. You can get the occasional dirty egg this way.

The ACV and garlic won't hurt them of course, so if you feel like it is helping them, then by all means give it a go.

Sometimes worms can be visible in the poo so look in your poop catcher or under the roost in the a.m. to see if there are any there. But again, the only way to be certain is taking a fecal sample to your vet.

7. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    Ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by