Chickens won’t go in their coop at night

LadyofHenezuela

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2020
Hey all, we’re having a little issue with our 11 week old flock not going into their coop at night. We are brand new to the chicken thing, so what are your Dos and don’ts to ensure your flock goes in on their own? We’ve tried keeping them in their coop with a coop heater (temp of coop staying between 65-80 degrees) for 4 days straight and even put in a little light in there to maintain their day night cycle while there. They have food/water/grit. Any guidance would be appreciated :).

Mine insisted on sleeping on the ground. I had to physically put mine into their coop and shut the door. After one night of being safe and secure, they got it. Never had any issues since.

Hey all, we’re having a little issue with our 11 week old flock not going into their coop at night. We are brand new to the chicken thing, so what are your Dos and don’ts to ensure your flock goes in on their own? We’ve tried keeping them in their coop with a coop heater (temp of coop staying between 65-80 degrees) for 4 days straight and even put in a little light in there to maintain their day night cycle while there. They have food/water/grit. Any guidance would be appreciated :).
Go out to your coop just before dark get your chickens into the coop. I have a stick ( a broken tree limb really) and just tap it loudly on the ground and screech Get in the COOOOPPPPP. I think they get in because they want me to shut up. Take a flashlight with you. Close all the doors now it's pretty dark in there. Hence the flash light. You can catch your birds now because they can't see well in the dark. Put them on a roost and remember where you put them. Sing them a lullaby while checking crops and leave. Do this for several nights. Always put them in the right place. They will start to go in just before dark on their own. They don't want you to pick them up usually. You might have to do this for a few nights to a week or more but they will get. Birds are creatures of habit. Make good habits for them. Good luck . Don't give up you'll have to start all over again.

Go out to your coop just before dark get your chickens into the coop. I have a stick ( a broken tree limb really) and just tap it loudly on the ground and screech Get in the COOOOPPPPP. I think they get in because they want me to shut up. Take a flashlight with you. Close all the doors now it's pretty dark in there. Hence the flash light. You can catch your birds now because they can't see well in the dark. Put them on a roost and remember where you put them. Sing them a lullaby while checking crops and leave. Do this for several nights. Always put them in the right place. They will start to go in just before dark on their own. They don't want you to pick them up usually. You might have to do this for a few nights to a week or more but they will get. Birds are creatures of habit. Make good habits for them. Good luck . Don't give up you'll have to start all over again.
This was both entertaining and informative. My husband said “I don’t know if she is being serious or not...” 😂

this happened to me as well. The flock would just sit outside. I had to put them all in and now they know to go inside

@LadyofHenezuela
I found your intro thread. :frow From another Coloradan.

My advice first would be ditch the heater. Our climate is not cold enough to need one. Even if using one you don't want them going from cold outside to human house temp to cold outside. You should only warm to to around 32° if at all.

The fact that you ARE able to actually heat your coop is telling me you need more ventilation. Ventilation allows warm moist air to rise (taking heat with it) and is critical in preventing frostbite.

Where in the world are you located?

Can you post pics of the coop and run? It helps us see if there is something needing tweaked.
Great questions! We’re in Northeast Colorado on the foothills of the Rockies. We covered their run in plastic over the winter for snowier dayside they can still enjoy getting out of their coop and stretching their legs. They like to park it overnight under their food dispenser until I force them to get into their coop (previously by picking them up. Last night was the first time I was able to coax them in just by gently nudging them there.). Enjoy the bloopers of Rowena and Charlotte using this as a photo op.
74CBC013-444F-429C-9F01-7C14E3963958.jpeg

E41BA362-C638-4756-8907-E456992F0EB7.jpeg

D89D368F-9187-4FEB-8864-C5BDE2F400E7.jpeg

Where they like to fall asleep:
674E2A0F-EA11-49BB-8B52-BDFE1865F868.jpeg

Rest of run/
BF333319-3234-4BFB-A89A-064778E19E30.jpeg

Bloopers:
74EE22D1-2AF3-4858-9D38-AC6EB93F086E.jpeg

59227159-1AFC-42B7-A2D1-5C4A210643E1.jpeg

1A9C61F0-DC93-4160-B701-A2F1F08A3C8E.jpeg

Attachments