Chickens won’t sleep on perch

Beacon321

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2021
My nine week old Astrolorp hens won’t sleep on their perch .... they just sleep on the hay. when they were in their baby chick pin they did sleep on a perch but since I have put them in the coop outside three days ago now they won’t. Anyone can tell me what to do ? Or if they eventually will if I just let them work it out ?

My nine week old Astrolorp hens won’t sleep on their perch .... they just sleep on the hay. when they were in their baby chick pin they did sleep on a perch but since I have put them in the coop outside three days ago now they won’t. Anyone can tell me what to do ? Or if they eventually will if I just let them work it out ?
They have had no adult chicken teach them. They will figure it out on their own eventually or you can place them on the roost each night to speed up the process.

At roosting time is there enough light in the coop so they can see the roost?
They have been going in at about 715 so it is still light outside so I would say yes .. I have also placed a very faint light in the coop.... not sure if this is OK but I was concerned about them being in the dark also

Back
Top Bottom