chickens won’t eat out of new feeder?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Soleil_A, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. hi guys,

so i just bought one of those feeders where the chickens have to stick their entire heads in. it’s like those pvc pipe feeders. i got it yesterday, and my chickens have NO idea how to eat out of it. i have tried putting their heads inside of it but they still have no idea how to do it. should i just give them some more time?
    thanks!

2. Lauren Kim

Lauren Kim Songster

Give them some more time. You can put mealworms in there to lure them, and you’ll have to get them used to it.

3. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    How were you feeding them before?

JT

sourland likes this.
  4. just one of those chick feeders

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is the feed visible to them ? I would fill to the very rim of the feeder part until they learned to stick their head further in.

bobbi-j, GC-Raptor and Soleil_A like this.
  6. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    If it is up off the ground put the base of the old feeder under it and they will figure it out.

JT

7. DaviJones

DaviJones Songster

Nov 7, 2017
    South Western, AZ
    I have one of those and my chickens had some trouble learning to use the feeder as well. I would put feed as far out into their sight as allowed by the feeder. Put their head into the feeder somewhat regularly. Make sure it's a the right height for your birds, at head height or a little shorter is fine too. It took mine maybe a little less than a week before they faithfully used it, so I left a little dish out for the slower ones, only because they were young and I was afraid of stunting their growth. Maybe that made it slower, but I can't tell for sure.

When putting their head in the feeder I would hold them with their head in right above the feed until you see their head moving and pecking to get food, just to make sure they make that connection. Best of luck! It's certainly worth it as to reducing food waste and mess, they will still make a small mess though but that's just chickens!

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Curious..Why did you change things?

9. more room, less waste all that stuff

10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Oh...Okay..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: