Chickens won’t roost

Mar 29, 2023
Been raising chickens for years, got a few youngish laying hens at a swap meet kind of thing, they won’t roost/go into the coop at night… after having them in the coop/ run for a good while I let them out to free range like my other hens. They do not go to the coop, they will not roost, and every night I have to go get them out of a bush and put them in the coop. I’m guessing the ones that raised these kept them caged constantly. They are super sweet and friendly golden comets. Is there any way I can get them to go to the coop/roost at night instead of the bush? I have tried everything and still they want to sleep on the ground under the same bush. Never had this problem before, but first time I bought from a swap meet. I have 3 week old chicks that roost! It’s frustrating, any tips/ cheat codes for this?? Please and thanks!!!!

That’s what I was thinking, just reading it to see if there was anything that I had not tried that would help, I think these poor girls spent their lives in a little cage but absolutely love free ranging now. You could see that they were like “we love this place!” After I integrated them into the flock. They get super excited to have watermelon or any other produce really. They will jump up in our laps and follow me constantly hoping for the random grub or whatever I find in the garden for them. Awesome hens really, just can’t get them to roost or go to the coop at night. They will in and out of it during the day but go to the same bush at night. Spent so long trying to teach them to roost!

I had a similar experience with 4 POL GCs I purchased from a poultry swap, once they knew where home was, I didn't have any issues with them returning to it after free ranging, but it did take them a few weeks to go up into the coop without me finding them under it and picking them up to put them I side. Then it took them sever al months to start roosting. I put some roost bars in the run, after awhile they started using those during the day. I think you've tried all the right things.

Mine also are huge food fans, especially when I got them they would eat anything and everything with tons of gusto while my spoiled farm store chicks only delicately pick at the most tasty treats.

I had a similar experience with 4 POL GCs I purchased from a poultry swap, once they knew where home was, I didn't have any issues with them returning to it after free ranging, but it did take them a few weeks to go up into the coop without me finding them under it and picking them up to put them I side. Then it took them sever al months to start roosting. I put some roost bars in the run, after awhile they started using those during the day. I think you've tried all the right things.

Mine also are huge food fans, especially when I got them they would eat anything and everything with tons of gusto while my spoiled farm store chicks only delicately pick at the most tasty treats.
Yep exactly

Back
Top Bottom