Chickens won’t use roosting bars

Brian720

Chirping
Mar 30, 2020
I was given an old coop from a friend. It is a big coop he had over 30 chickens in it when he used it. I fixed it up made it nice and the chickens love it. I have 10 chickens in it. I just got my first couple eggs this week so I put the nesting boxes in with fake eggs to show them where to lay. The issue is all the birds including the rooster just crowd in the nesting box area. No one using the roosting bars. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Chickens almost always sleep in the highest spot accessible. If your nesting boxes are higher than your roost, so be it. You also need to see if the roosts are to high to easily reach. Some breeds can't fly over a couple feet. Another problem might be your choice in roosting material. If it's metal or plastic, it's probably too slippery. If it's wood, check to see if there are splinters.

I was given an old coop from a friend. It is a big coop he had over 30 chickens in it when he used it. I fixed it up made it nice and the chickens love it. I have 10 chickens in it. I just got my first couple eggs this week so I put the nesting boxes in with fake eggs to show them where to lay. The issue is all the birds including the rooster just crowd in the nesting box area. No one using the roosting bars. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

So, it may depend on what breed of chickens you have. For my Crevecoeurs, no roost is too high. For my Delawares, more than a foot is too high.

I’ll put up pictures tomorrow the roosting bars are wooden 1x1s. I sanded them smooth but maybe they are too high. All ten birds are different breeds. The roosting bars are higher than the nesting boxes I’ll try adjusting them tomorrow when I take the pics. If I had to guess the bars around about 3 feet high. Thanks so much for the help.

I’ll put up pictures tomorrow the roosting bars are wooden 1x1s. I sanded them smooth but maybe they are too high. All ten birds are different breeds. The roosting bars are higher than the nesting boxes I’ll try adjusting them tomorrow when I take the pics. If I had to guess the bars around about 3 feet high. Thanks so much for the help.
1’’ by 1’’? That would be way too small.

I agree with @Ihavesomechickens, 1" is much to narrow to be comfortable for chicken feet. Unlike some other birds, chickens generally prefer to have their feet flat on their roosts. Many people use the wide side of a 2 x 4. My roosting bars are made out of branches around 4" in diameter.

1’’ by 1’’? That would be way too small.
Some of my large birds like Crevecoeurs, Houdans, and Ameraucanas will use 1 inch by 1 inch, and so will all my bantams (Nankins, d'Uccles, booted bantams).

However, I myself have standardized on 2 inch by 2 inch, since that size is sturdier, available almost everywhere, and lasts longer without breaking or bowing.

Back
Top Bottom