Chickens won's eat fermented feed.in cold weather

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
Hello,

So now that it is cold and snowing, my chickens won't eat their fermented feed. I stopped making it, but am wondering what your chickens do in the winter if you use FF. They are not the kind of chickens that gobble down their food like crazy in the morning. They just graze. I have them on a mixture of all flock and layer pellets now. I forgot just how messy that gets. I have the food containers on a foil tin pan and it is still getting flung all over the place.

I broom everything up at night, but found a big old fat racoon on my deck a few days ago. Not good. I really want to get them back on FF, but I am assuming they don't want cold, wet food especially if is laying out all day.

I am curious if this is, or is not the case with other chicken owners, and if anyone has any tips?

Thank you!

Hello,

So now that it is cold and snowing, my chickens won't eat their fermented feed. I stopped making it, but am wondering what your chickens do in the winter if you use FF. They are not the kind of chickens that gobble down their food like crazy in the morning. They just graze. I have them on a mixture of all flock and layer pellets now. I forgot just how messy that gets. I have the food containers on a foil tin pan and it is still getting flung all over the place.

I broom everything up at night, but found a big old fat racoon on my deck a few days ago. Not good. I really want to get them back on FF, but I am assuming they don't want cold, wet food especially if is laying out all day.

I am curious if this is, or is not the case with other chicken owners, and if anyone has any tips?

Thank you!
In winter I just make hot mash, which they're happy to eat. There won't be as much mess!

Hello,

Thank you!
I feed my ten pullets their fermented feed in two heated bowls. I put the wet fermented feed into a (black rubber) livestock bowl and put that into the heated feeder for ease of clean up.
Of course, being chickens, they have decided that they like one bowl better, so eat that one first! They also have dry feed in a no-waste feeder available during the day.

Back
Top Bottom