Chickens won't come in out of the rain!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suenrob, Apr 1, 2008.

1. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    It's been raining very hard and even though the coop door is opened, the chickens aren't going in. Should I be worried?????

2. suenrob

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Lightning and thunder too!!!!! Should I go out an try to round them up??????

3. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Lightening & Thunder? No, too dangerous! If it calms down and still raining, then you might run them in and fasten them up. I shut all my chickens up just before dark. They usually beat me to it and are snug on their roosts when I come to fasten them in.

4. suenrob

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Now that it is getting dark, they probably all went in, but is it ok for them to be out in the rain? I thought they were smart enuf to take shelter, but I guess not!

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Hey we all need showers!!! They are just making sure they get nice and clean!! [​IMG]

Mine have been in the rain all day as well!![​IMG]

6. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    wow it's raining all over the country..

7. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Well, not quite... [​IMG]

8. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    when my girls were still young - they were out in the rain and I panicked so like a dummy I ran out there to and chased them all back into thier little temp coop, as soon as I got them locked up and got into dry clothes it stopped raining -- sun came out so I let them back out within a few minutes it started to rain again and the girls would NOT go back in thier coop - so I gave up - they love playing in the rain and jumping in the mud puddles.

Julie

9. suenrob

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Thanks to all for the reassurance. They went in before dark, so all is well.

10. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    Yea it has been raining here all day too. My girls were all out in the rain all day. They finally went in just before dark. It doesn't seem to bother them any even when the rain turned to snow the back to rain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by