Chickens won't drink worming water

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lindabro, Dec 15, 2009.

1. lindabro

lindabro New Egg

Dec 13, 2009
    Hi all,

I decided to worm my chickens today and took away their water last night, gave it to them this morning with the worming solution in it (using the same waterer etc) and they haven't drunk anything all day! I'm in Sydney and its been 30 degrees (celcius) today (about 86 farenheit).

Do I leave it until they drink it or give them fresh water and try again tomorrow?

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    They will drink it when they get thristy.

However, I personally think it is a GREAT mistake to try and worm chickens when it is that hot.
    Worming is hard on a chicken anyway. Do it when it is cooler.

So, I'd pour it out. Go back to fresh water and worm them later in the year.
    saladin

3. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I would find a dewormer you can give them another way. Putting stuff in the water isn't accurate and can cause dehydration.

4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    You might try adding Karo syrup(corn syrup) or just plain sugar along with the meds. as this will help camo the taste. Usually about 2 Tbsp./ gallon is a good measure.

I don't think the temps are warm enough to bother your chickens just don't go overboard on the meds.

Back when we had the family bus. of raising commercial broilers we had to deworm the birds in all different seasons of the year as they grow off in six weeks and in another week or two you were back in full swing again. You can raise alot of birds in 52 weeks of the year/every 8 weeks that's 6 to 7 flocks at (80 to 90 thousand in a flock) so you can see what I mean about deworming anytime.

catdaddy

5. lindabro

lindabro New Egg

Dec 13, 2009
    Thanks for the replys. I got my three chickens from a commercial egg farm (the only one for miles around here), so they recommended worming just before they started laying (which is now (about 18 weeks old)). I replaced the water last night with fresh and I noticed it might not have been the solution that was the problem.

I realised that the 200 mls of solutioned water that it suggested for 3 birds only just covered the base of the waterer (about 1 cm high). I was watching last night when they drank from the full waterer and they could only get their beaks into the top of the water (its an inverted bowl waterer that lets more water out as they drink - but it looks like the bowl part at the top prevents them for getting right down into the water base). I guess they've been fine doing that so far when the water level is high, but with the water so shallow, perhaps they couldn't reach it properly - so sorry ladies [​IMG]

I will try again tomorrow after they've had a full day of drinking fresh water again - this time with a different bowl.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I saw what looked like a long round worm in my one hens poo this morning, I use DE in their feed but other than that have not wormed any of my 11 chickens, What do I need to get and how do I administer it, my problem is my chickens are in with my ducks so I can't put it in the water. Please give advice, this was upsetting to say the least. And shes the one laying. Thank you

7. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    One of my local "chicken mentors" told me to take the water away from them at night once there on the roost and come morning give them the medicated water .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by