1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens wont eat flies?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hendrygg, Sep 23, 2011.

1. hendrygg

hendrygg Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Monroe, Louisiana
    My chicken run is overrun with flies and my chickens will not try and eat them. But today i put an injured dragonfly in the run and it couldn't get eaten fast enough.
    Any advise about how to get rid of the flies or make them more appetizing?

2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    DE cuts down on the dampness, smell and flies quite a bit. Some people swear by the little vanilla scented trees for your car. Fly strips or bait traps also work well. The traps get funky smelling when they get a bunch of flies.

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    if you could make them clumsy and slow it would help...

But they are just too fast and need to be dealt with as a pest.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:This what I do and it does wonders and is a good easy cure, they allways seem to come out when there is excess moisture around.

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    we ended up putting a roof over the run to help keep it drier. The flies and stink were awful. And since my neighbors are really really close I had to do something. The DE didnt do much at all. I ended up getting Golden Marlin and setting up bait stations for the flies. Worked like a charm. Just have to make sure the chickens or any other animals you love away from it.
    Now any time the flies start looking like they are getting out of control I put out the bait. Got a big thing of it at Agway.
    I tried those fly bait bags,, but ewwww gross. And with my luck a fly strip thing would end up stuck to a cat, or one of the resident squirrels. While that would be kinda funny. It would also suck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by