Chickens won't eat their Layer! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cowhlb, Nov 26, 2014.

1. cowhlb

cowhlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Hi. My Nana's pullets that are 22 1/2 weeks old. She loves them dearly and they are her first chickens. There are three of them and they are buffs. She switched them to Layer a couple of weeks ago and they seemed to like it. Since a few days ago they haven't been eating their Layer. They will eat other things like pumpkins, tuna, scrambled eggs, etc. They have also been eating cracked corn. They won't even touch their Layer. She mixed their Layer with their old Starter/Grower food and they still won't eat. She tried a different brand of Layer and they still won't eat it. Why? Help and tips would be great! Thanks in advance!
    -Hannah

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  2. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    That's really strange... Have they been eating a lot of other foods? The only thing I can seem to think of, is that they are getting enough of other foods the boring chicken feed is being ignored. If left without other food for the whole day do they still refuse to eat any chicken feed?

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Pellets or crumbles are not as enticing or as much fun to eat as all the other goodies it sounds like they may be filling up on. I'd try cutting back or cutting out the snacks and corn and see if they start eating their layer feed.

4. cowhlb

Apr 4, 2014
    Virginia

They are eating a lot of other foods. Yes, my Nana left the food out for a long while without any other better food. They still won't eat. My pulleys which are the same age and came from the same 'group' eat the Layer food.

5. cowhlb

Apr 4, 2014
    Virginia

She started feeding the treats when she noticed they were not eating their Layer food.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Stop the treats and cracked corn. Put out the layer feed and another pan of layer feed with water mixed into it (change it daily.) They should really like the feed with water in it. After a few days, take away the feed with water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by