Chickens won't eat treats, why?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KauAnnie, Jul 2, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    I give my three hens some treats every morning and find them in the same spot (untouched) at dusk. At first they come, sometimes peck the treats. Either spit it out or rub their beaks on the ground, then walk away. Why? I have tried banana, pomegranate, lettus,boiled egg, and bread. However, they go grazy for the chicken crumbs I bought from the store. I just dont understand and I see everyones else's chickens eating anything. Thanks for the help [​IMG]

2. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I have the same problem with a small flock of Coronation Sussex I bought that had been raised on wire with apparently no treats.. EVER.. The rooster will give his "here is something to eat" clucks when I throw out some bread or fruit scraps.. but none ever picks one up. I have FINALLY convinced them that watermelon is good.. but I have to take the rind out to the pen.. they won't touch cut up pieces.. so strange.

I admit that my chickens are as much pets as they are provider of eggs.. so the main mixed flock knows just how to devour ANYTHING I bring out..

I'll be interested to see what advice you are given.

Shelly

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

here
    is a treat chart....I started mine out with cut up grapes...they go crazy for them...try meal worms...you just have to find the right treat...my old roos, didn't like things my new chickens do...go figure, they are just like people....

Are they full, not wanting to eat? Try feeding when they are hungry...they will learn, and soon be eating it all!

4. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Are they used to eating just layers' mash or pellets? It could be that they don't know that you are giving them something to eat, although that shouldn't be a problem. Most likely it's that since they have the same food all the time they are not used to trying new things and are fussy. Not all chickens like what are on those 'chicken treats' lists, they are the same as any animal; they have their own taste and opinion. Try mealworms or corn, and smaller, more flavourful leaves. Fresh juicy melon seeds, with some melon still attached, are also quite popular.

5. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I threw some frozen cantaloupe rinds out for ours today and they aren't touching them. They pecked them a few times and didn't seem to like that they were cold, but they haven't touched them even after they completely thawed. I'll just keep trying I guess. I don't want to give quick oats and hot dog buns forever. [​IMG]

6. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I threw some frozen cantaloupe rinds out for ours today and they aren't touching them.

Whereas my five BO's finished off half of a cantaloupe in about 10 minutes today. Depends on the breed, depends on the age.​

7. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Whereas my five BO's finished off half of a cantaloupe in about 10 minutes today. Depends on the breed, depends on the age.

I have several breeds but all are the same age. I tried again with a non-frozen rind and I put some oats in it first. They devoured the oats and left the rind again. Then when I filled their little quart size feeder I put the little bit that was still in the bottom of it in the rind and they looked at me like 'why do you keep putting our food in this thing' and proceeded to eat all the leftover feed and none of the rind. Maybe my chicks are just carb lovers. I am not giving up though!

8. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    my new batch doesn't like treats either but they are learning. They watch the others devour anything and everything. (except pomegranites - they didn't like those) Mine will go PSYCHO over grapefruit! Weird. They also loved sunflower seeds and tonight I was grilling and dropped a hot dog and well.... it didn't last long! lol! The poor dogs didn't even have a shot!

9. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Have you tried yogurt? Because it's liquid-y, you can try wiping it onto their beaks and see if they will eat that, or sprinkle some chicken feed on top of the yogurt.

Another way:
    Mix chicken feed with water into a mash. All chickens I've had have loved that. Once they get used to that as a "treat", you can start adding some other treats onto the top of the mash and see if they will eat that.

One thing I would try first would be mealworms; the wriggling should really attract their little chicken brains.

10. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    on the super hot days, i will freeze a slice of watermelon rind in a bowl of water. I leave a little watermelon on the rind, but not much. before i bring it out, I put a little water on top so they aren't just pecking at ice. as it melts, they can get at the watermelon rind. they love this. it keeps them busy for so long. they eat the watermelon until the rind is as thin as a piece of paper and because it's frozen in ice, it takes them a while to work at it.

Try giving them green grapes. I gave mine mealworms as their first treat and they went crazy for them. Second was grapes and they went CRAZAZAZY for the grapes. split the grapes in half first and hand feed it to them. When I gave the grapes, it appeared my pecking order changed. There was one that clearly enjoyed them a smidge more than the others and let everyone know it.

I've been giving broccoli this week. they like that, but not as much as the other stuff. They seemed to like collard greens okay. I tried tomato slices once, but they didn't go anywhere near it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by