Chickens won't get along?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ReeseTheChick, Jun 17, 2011.

1. ReeseTheChick

ReeseTheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    We have some Black sex links and I think some Red Isis, anyway we have 2 bantams and 6 silkies and the silkies and bantams are almost 4 weeks and the others are almost 7 weeks. Since the silkies and bantams are small I was worried about putting them outside with the other chickens because the silkies and bantams are tiny compared to them. My mom helped me get them outside but she doesn't believe me that they will get picked on outside. I went to check on Fuzzball today (Had to check on her foot. She lost a toe 2 weeks ago) and one of the bantams got out of the kennel she was in (They are in the coop inside a dog kennel) and all 20 of the red isis and black sex links ran right after her and ganged up on her and I had to get her out from under them. They will not play nice with the silkies and my mom thinks that getting rid of them would just be better. Will these chickens not get along at all? Should I make one part of their fenced in area just for the silkies&bantams?

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    with age and size difference, they will tend to get picked on.....I would divide the fencing up...half for the big boys and girl and other have for the little tykes [​IMG]
    If you want them to "try" and get along...having them in view of each other full time, but not "being" in the same pen may help....Once they are more mature and use to seeing each other...they may "play" more nicely [​IMG]

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I keep mine separated unless supervised. I'm just over 2 weeks of integrating. It's not been very easy here. My 13 week olds would of killed the others if they had the opportunity, so I need to take this slowly. I use an extra large dog kennel to keep them separated right in the coop.

4. I Heart Chicks

I Heart Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Illinois
    Nicole, just curious if you were ever able to integrate your chickens together. I am having trouble with mine. thank you.

5. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Absolutely! I'm actually adding 3 more to the group starting this weekend. My babies have been fully feathered for a week now.

It took 3 weeks total last year to integrate using the dog kennel. I do have a bully. My oldest EE, but she pecks everyone. She is going back in chicken jail as soon as the babies are fully integrated. I also think I have a rooster amongst the 3, so maybe he will stop her from bullying. I have a saddle on my Cochin, so hopefully she'll stop.

I had to put the oldest EE in jail last year due to her bad chicken behavior. It worked well, but she recently started again.

6. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Double post...

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  7. WinklerFarms

WinklerFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Central Minnesota
    For me sometimes I just throw them together and see what happens. Sometimes it works fine sometimes it doesn't. What I do if it doesn't is put them in side by side pens that share a wall. They can see and socialize with them but they can't fight (although they will try) If you don't have this option the dog kennel option as others suggested would work fine to.

good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by