Chickens wont get water in the snow

Pics
Wow, how would we go about getting an add on. Im so sorry for asking all of these stupid questions
You're fine! What I would do is probably convert the entire coop/run combo into a coop. Cover the sides with exterior plywood and re-work the interior. Then create a new run. I think that would be the easiest with what you have....
Then maybe convert a shed.

I normally leave the north and west walls solid due to prevailing winds. However, the last two buildings I built have close to 3' X 4' open windows on both east and west walls and the wind blows right through at roost height. Sometimes snow blowing in. Chickens have been in there down to -19F and never a sick bird.
They need oxygen, not warmth.

During the day I would I would put water in the coop. If no electric, get black rubber livestock bowls - easier to deal with in the cold.

Space requirements. Don’t overly stress over that. Your flock will tell you if they have enough space - not enough and they start to have issues. Sometimes you have issues bc of a particularly unpleasant hen - even with tons of space. My coop does not provide 4 sqft per bird...but it has ample roost area. We do not have problems.

Ventilation. Yes, you need more, but you have some- that is good. Structurally, I don’t know that you can just cut away the entire side to open it up...just be thoughtful with that. Next spring you can do a variety of things to improve the ventilation. You could put in roof vents so air moves up and out without blowing in the birds. Maybe you can raise the roof off the sides, using 2x4 to get that1.5” height all around the base if the roof - air comes in, but above the heads of the roosting birds. Cover openings with HWC. For 4 birds, you won’t need to do too much, but additional ventilation will be beneficial for them.

snow - you may be able to cover 1-2 sides of run with a board or plastic to keep out prevailing winds and some Of the snow.

If you notice the wind coming in that window at a pretty good clip... Take a furnace filter and cut it down to fit the window. That will cut down the wind but still allow for ventilation.
I do this in one of my windows & it works great.

My littles also wouldn't go out to eat or drink. I put down leaves & scratch & chased them out of the coop & locked the door behind them. :gig They got over it quick & ate & drank so I let them back in.

Back
Top Bottom