Chickens wont go back in coop after scare

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jillcg, May 30, 2016.

1. jillcg

jillcg Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2015
    About 10 days ago one of my chickens died. It was fine in the morning, even laid an egg, and when I got there in the evening it could barely walk. It died the same night. About 2 days after, I saw a snake around my chicken coop which I could only chase of. The next day I was sitting on my porch after dark when I heard my chickens making a lot of noise. When I got there, they were all out of their coop, but I couldn't see why, and I was actually a little scared to check for any signs of a snake. These things scare me :)
    They do not want to go back in their coop at night ever since. I caught a pretty long rat snake today. I am wondering if the snake scared them out of the coop, and how do I get them to go back in at night?

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Do you close your coop at night?

3. jillcg

jillcg Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2015
    I do have them fenced in, but the links in the fence is about 2 x4 inch. Within the fenced in area, I have an old raised little coop, like a little house, with an opening for them to get in. So a racoon wont get in but somehow I didn't think about the snakes. I actually didn't think snakes would do anything to chickens. Well to my excuse I have to say, I am new to Texas, and new to having chickens [​IMG]

4. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Even being fenced in, if a predator is hungry enough, they'll find a way in. If you don't lock them in the actual coop at night, you should. Snakes will eat eggs, but I haven't known any to harm chickens, but I dont know...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by