Jordan01

Chirping
Jun 28, 2018
Newfoundland
I brought home 2 rhode island reds a few days ago, they have a raised coop attached to a run. When I brought them home I put them in the run not the coop, I've only seen one in the coop for a short bit of time. Most of the time they hide under the coop in the run, I can't reach under it to pick them up and put them in the coop, they won't follow food into the coop either. I want them locked in the coop at night as its safer than the run but they won't come out from under the coop whenever I'm in the run. Any advice is wanted.

You may want to try to block off the under neath part during the day when they are not under there...then you should be able to physically place them into the secure coop...right?

Also...can you possibly post a photo of this coop.
Is it big enough for them and is there enough ventilation.
Also have you triple checked it to make sure there is not mites living in it.

You may want to try to block off the under neath part during the day when they are not under there...then you should be able to physically place them into the secure coop...right?

Also...can you possibly post a photo of this coop.
Is it big enough for them and is there enough ventilation.
Also have you triple checked it to make sure there is not mites living in it.
I'll try blocking it off and get a picture tomorrow, thanks for the advice. I bought the coop from someone that had chickens before so I assume the ventilations fine. Its big enough for 2 chickens. Im sure theres no mites as I cleaned it with cleaner, scrub brush, and a power washer.

Great!
I think they just need to be forced to get used to it.
I can't wait to see it.

I thought you should start them of in the coop so the establish it as home ?

That’s what I’ve done ,even locking them in there for a few days so they know good things happen in there.

Also if it’s dark inside they won’t go in .. a small night light helps with that .

Have fun ,never boring day

I thought you should start them of in the coop so the establish it as home ?

That’s what I’ve done ,even locking them in there for a few days so they know good things happen in there.

I would do the same, provided that there's adequate space, ventilation/light, and temperature forecast isn't too high.

Yeah I’d also suggest hanging a torch in there they follow the light. They’ll be frightened to go in as it will be darker in there than outside

What would be too warm for them to be locked in? The temperature for the next few days is in the low 20s (Celsius)
Is there enough room for them to move around comfortably and how is the ventilation?
I'm thinking your coop is on the small side...waiting on pictures.

Here's the pictures, they seem to have enough room to move around. I blocked off their run entrance as well as the space under their coop. Thanks again for the help I had some trouble putting in the pics sorry for the doubles.
20180629_120356.jpg
20180629_120707.jpg
20180629_120356.jpg
20180629_120707.jpg
20180629_120356.jpg
20180629_120707.jpg
20180629_120412.jpg

Back
Top Bottom