chickens won't go in their coop!

richred1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
Dickinson Texas
Hi yall. Normally I don't have this problem but the last few days my chickens have just been obnoxiously avoiding the coop when it's time to get put up. Not really sure why. Should I just leave them in the coop for a day or two? Is this something everyone is experiences? (This is my first flock and everyone is around 16 weeks: just in case that makes a difference.)

Do you put them in or have they been going in on their own?
As days get longer they stay out longer.
I never 'put' them in. They go in around dusk and I lock them up.

Do you put them in or have they been going in on their own?
As days get longer they stay out longer.
I never 'put' them in. They go in around dusk and I lock them up.

Well. I usually put them up and feed them when I do. I live in a neighborhood and the cats make me nervous so whenever I need to be gone for any length of time I put them up. I try to be consistant with the time they get out and the time i put them.

I've never found them to be anxious to go in before dusk so the time constantly changes. I'll have a couple in each coop roost early to get the top spot but there are always a couple lingering till almost dark.

Last edited:
you will always have one or two that takes their own good time going in at night.But in the end they will go in but at their choice.

Well. I usually put them up and feed them when I do. I live in a neighborhood and the cats make me nervous so whenever I need to be gone for any length of time I put them up. I try to be consistant with the time they get out and the time i put them.

Do you have a secure run? For clarity's sake, are you putting them up in the coop (actual house structure) or the run (enclosed pen) when you are going to be away? Being locked up in the run with access to the coop would be different than being locked up in the coop as far as the sort of reaction one might expect to see in the birds. With the latter being something that would create an aversion in the birds if/when it is occurring fairly regularly during non-roosting hours.

I have a section of my yard devoted to just my chickens. It runs along the side of my house but is just hurricane fencing. So, I guess what I need to do is either ajust my time schedule to meet their needs or build something that would prevent/drastically slow down any potential (cats) predators. It looks like I have some work to do. :) Thanks for the help y'all. Really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I have a section of my yard devoted to just my chickens. It runs along the side of my house but is just hurricane fencing. So, I guess what I need to do is either ajust my time schedule to meet their needs or build something that would prevent/drastically slow down any potential (cats) predators. It looks like I have some work to do.
smile.png
Thanks for the help y'all. Really appreciate it.

Yes - a secure run/pen that allows for access to the coop itself is a great way to provide your birds much appreciated "outdoor time" without the worry of predatory attacks. How many birds do you have? The area doesn't have to be huge - it is suggested to allow at least 10 square feet per bird - and will allow your birds to be able to be out and about (safely) in your absence from the house and eliminate their aversion to the coop stemming from being herded in and confined when you must be away from home. You can still offer free ranging time to them outside of the enclosure when it is convenient for you and you can all be happy and safe.

I have 7 chickens and the area that is sectioned off for them is approximately 10×30 feet. They have plenty of room. I just need to figure how to best secure it.

Back
Top Bottom