Chickens won't go in their house!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by elsathecat, May 24, 2010.

1. elsathecat

elsathecat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    I have three 10-week old chicks/chickens. They have been in their chicken tractor for nearly 2 weeks. About 7pm I lock them in the run part of the tractor and come back once it is dark to check on them. EVERY night they are huddled in the corner trying to stay warm and have not figured out they need to go back to their home. So every night I physically pick them up and put them in their house. Fortunately the corner they gather in is near the door and I don't have to crawl in the run to get them. I know at least one of them has figured out they can get into the house on their own because I checked on them one day (mid-day) and one of the girls was sitting in the house. Does anyone else have experience with chickens that are slow to figure out where their night time home is? Should I build a ramp?

2. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you put a light in the coop part each evening after dark for awhile to show them where they are suppose to be?

3. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    After physically moving new chicks into the coop at night for several days, they figured it out on their own.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yep, they need a ramp. [​IMG]

5. elsathecat

elsathecat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Okay, a ramp it is. Hopefully that will work. Otherwise I think I may have exceptionally dumb chickens.

Boo-Boo - I don't have any outdoor outlets [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by