chickens won't go into coop after predator attack

hrsdragonfly

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
Hi, I'm wondering how to get my chickens to go back into their coop after a serious predator attack. About 4 days ago over half of my flock was attacked and killed by I think a coyote. Since that time the rest of my girls won't go inside their coop. They roost in trees at night and hang out in the bushes near the coop now. How do I reestablish trust of the coop. I have completely cleaned it out and removed all the dead birds, fresh food and water and wood shavings.

Thanks

well u need 2 catch them and put them in there and fix the hole, goat night with a long borad and stick it unger them and put them back in the pen

That happened to me several years ago. Something killed 12 chickens one night in my coop. The survivors would not go back in the next night. They all went and rooster in a tree over my neighbors dog run! Pretty smart birds. I let them do this for four or five days while I put a wire roof over my chicken run. They calmed down or forgot the attack as I was able to herd them back in their home after that.

I have fixed the "security breach" and will give it a couple more days and see if they can be hearded back in. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom