Chickens won't go into coop at night!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CLN315NORTH, Oct 8, 2016.

1. CLN315NORTH

CLN315NORTH New Egg

Jun 5, 2014
    I have 4, 2 year old hens that have suddenly stopped going into their coop within the last week. I can't figure out why. There is nothing in there that I can see. They also seem agitated throughout the day and one keeps getting out. We have also noticed that within the past week, the few eggs that are being laid are being broken and eaten. I can't figure out what is going on. It's not a new coop. They have been in it since last fall. We have not added any new chickens since last fall. They have all been using the coop since we built it. I am not sure what is going on!! Help!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I'd say you have some type of animal getting in and eating your eggs; something sufficiently predatory to frighten the birds. Lots of animals will eat eggs, but some common ones include snakes, scrub jays, rats, and skunks (skunks will also go after chickens if they get hungry enough). Any of these animals can get in through an opening just a few inches across.

3. henmania

henmania Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2016
    North West London

Sorry to hear your having problems with your chickens.
    Are you able to close the coop so nothing can get in or out at night to see if eggs are still broken?
    Maybe set a camera at night and see maybe some is getting in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by