Chickens wont go into coop now that its winter??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by motoxman, Jan 11, 2011.

1. motoxman

motoxman New Egg

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi everyone, slight problem with our chickens. We've had them about 9 months now and they have been going into their coop every night since the beginning on their own. Now that the days are shorter and the cold weather is here, about half the flock will stay outside in the freezing cold. They would rather freeze in a snow storm than go back inside. Any ideas what the problem might be? The coop is very cosey, kept warm, food and water, everything they need. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    My guess is something bothered them in the coop at night - mice? bugs? some predator scratching at the window?

[​IMG]

I agree with below - could be the other chickens bothering them!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I would watch them at dusk one night and see what's going on. It could be bullying from any that do go inside. It could also be they are off on their timing and getting caught out in the dark. Do you have a light in your coop?

4. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    I've had a similar issue with my 3 five month old EEs. They like to hang out and roost on my back patio for much of the day. For the last month, they get all cozy roosting on top of a rubbermaid storage tote that their food is kept in, and after dark, I find them all asleep on it---on the back patio. I've just been picking them all up and bringing them back to the coop, they wake up, have a quick snack & drink, and then finally go to bed in their proper place and I lock them up for the night. Don't know why they won't do it on their own these days, but it's not too much trouble to "tuck them in each night" so I've just been going with the flow.

5. motoxman

motoxman New Egg

Jan 11, 2011
    I dont think we have mice. Could possibly be bullying as some of them dont get along that well... but then again its been like that all summer and they went in at night then. Yes we have a light that stays on until 9pm. Thanks for the replies! [​IMG]

6. Jim from Cincinnati

Jim from Cincinnati Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Something inside the chicken house has changed? Making the hens feel the need to risk sleeping outside. Also, I did not catch where you live?

7. motoxman

motoxman New Egg

Jan 11, 2011
    we are in southwestern ontario. only thing thats changed is the light.. we added it for the shorter days, but even before that they werent going in.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd try picking up some poultry dust and treating the birds and coop for lice/mites. Poultry dust is usually permethrin/pyrethrins. Mites/lice are carried by wild birds so if you have chickens, sooner or later you'll have them. Sevin dust also works.

9. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have 4 that won't go in,I call them the "rail birds" they are happy roosting up on the high rail in the run. They are alway fine in the morning,even if it 26 degrees...silly girls!

10. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I used to climb on the rafters and catch them I liked to put them in the coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by