Chickens wont go into hen house at night?

sillychicks123

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 11, 2013
I have five chickens, one old english game hen and four silkies. I have had my silkie the longest, because I used to own three polish with her but they all turned out to be roos, but I had them sleeping outside before I knew that so they all learned to go up into the hen house at night. (I would go outside everynight and I made them walk up the ramp haha) I got rid of my roos unfortunately but I did get my game hen and she already knew how to go up there at night as well. However, when I got my three silkie chickens (2 months old at the time), I had to seperate them from my 2 other hens due to them bullying the other chicks, but now my silkie chicks are 5 months and my silkie is 6 months and I believe my OEG is about 8 months (she was a rescue). They are all together now and doing great BUT my three 5 month old silkies STILL dont know how to use the ramp to go into the hen house! Every night I make them walk up the ramp, but they always want to come back down into the run for some reason. Its such a oain and I've been doing it for a couple of months, and I always feel bad asking my neighbor to watch them since they have to walk in there and grab them. I dont know if they are scared of the ramp or whatever, but my other two chickens weren't, even my older silkie. How can I teach them to use the ramp? It isnt too steep, I think its a 7 FT board and the hen house is about 2.5-3 ft off the ground, and It has little grips. Any thoughts/tips? Am I doing something wrong?

Do they need to be in the coop at night to be protected from predators? i.e. is their run attached to the coop or do they free range and HAVE to be in the coop at night. If their run and coop are attached, I would just leave them alone. Chances are they will go in the coop if they get cold enough and if they want to sleep out of it, so be it.

I have had a few hens who didn't want to go into the coop either, after a bit of observation it was 1 of 2 reasons. The rooster and or the other hens were bullying them. I separated them problem solved. Best of luck.

Our silkie was pretty useless at using the ramp while the others were fine. Our ramp is on a hinge so I put a brick under the end to reduce the incline slightly and haven't had a problem since.

Maybe because they are younger they are still just in need of a bit less incline than your older one c

I have six week old pullets and they hop up the stars at night
to sleep in their cage but I did have them spend a week in
the cage after taking them out of the brooder so as to get
them use to sleeping in their new home and when it is time
for them to move in with the big chickens I will have them
in a cage in the hen house for forty eight hours as I have
dune with several different generations and types of my
birds hare ...........
old.gif

gander007

Do they need to be in the coop at night to be protected from predators? i.e. is their run attached to the coop or do they free range and HAVE to be in the coop at night. If their run and coop are attached, I would just leave them alone. Chances are they will go in the coop if they get cold enough and if they want to sleep out of it, so be it.
My run is attatched to my hen house and the floor of the run is lined with 1/8th inch wire cloth, but I know this is silly but its that comfort factor of knowing that they are cozy and warm and safe in the hen house

Our silkie was pretty useless at using the ramp while the others were fine. Our ramp is on a hinge so I put a brick under the end to reduce the incline slightly and haven't had a problem since.

Maybe because they are younger they are still just in need of a bit less incline than your older one c
Hm thats a good idea, maybe ill try that tomorrow, Thanks!

I have had a few hens who didn't want to go into the coop either, after a bit of observation it was 1 of 2 reasons. The rooster and or the other hens were bullying them. I separated them problem solved. Best of luck.
Thank you for your input, there is no bullying anymore or at least I havent noticed any! My older silkie did make it obvious that she is the boss, but now likes the younger ones lol! unless theres treats involved that is :)

I have six week old pullets and they hop up the stars at night
to sleep in their cage but I did have them spend a week in
the cage after taking them out of the brooder so as to get
them use to sleeping in their new home and when it is time
for them to move in with the big chickens I will have them
in a cage in the hen house for forty eight hours as I have
dune with several different generations and types of my
birds hare ...........
old.gif

gander007
hm, thats a good idea too, I wished i had thought about that earlier

Back