1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens wont go into the nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Luke10, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Luke10

Luke10 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Lancashire, UK
    Hello, i got my first 4 hens yesterday! I got 4 warrens and they are 22 weeks old.

The two nest boxes are built on the second floor of my coop, but they wont go up the small ladder to get to the nest boxes! Today i put one up on the second floor, but all she wanted to do is get straight back down but instead of using the ladder to get down she sort of just jumped down. Then i put another hen up their and she explored about a bit more and then she went into the nest box and laid an egg! (My first egg! [​IMG]). But they are not going up there by their selfs and i am worried that they will lay in the wrong places. They are not even going onto the perches i have built for them, they are built as a type of ladder, and all one hen did today was fly straight for the top perch instead of hoping from step to step, which made her come tumbling down. I am also worried about them sleeping on the floor, will this cause any problems for any of my chickens? Will the chickens figure out how to use the ladder and the perches by their selfs?

Another thing is that they keep flying up at me. They only have done it once or twice to me, but keep doing it to my niece who is 4 years old. This has made my niece scared of the chickens and will not enter the coop or go any where near them. Why do they keep flying up at us?

Thanks, Luke.

p.s here is a pic of my first egg which i got today:
    [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Not sure why they are flying up at you. Perhaps they were hand fed treats before. I'm wondering if you could post pictures of your roost set up? It may help to trouble shoot. Generally speaking, nest boxes are usually set lower than the roosts. This prevents them from roosting in the nest boxes. You might try putting a small crate on the floor with shavings or straw in it to see if they are more comfortable laying in a lower spot. Or...it just may take them a little while to get used to the new set up. [​IMG]

3. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    Do you have fake eggs in the nest boxes? The fake eggs make them think that it must be a good place to lay an egg since another hen already did. I use golf balls. It's funny to see them climb into the nest and use their beak to tuck the golf balls under themselves.

A couple of our hens will fly up on us too, mostly if we're standing still. We can even trigger them to do it by standing with one arm extended. The only problem is they're both heavy breeds, and if they fly up from behind and hit you in the back of the head it can be a shock.

4. Luke10

Oct 27, 2010
    Lancashire, UK
    Yay Chicks! :

Not sure why they are flying up at you. Perhaps they were hand fed treats before. I'm wondering if you could post pictures of your roost set up? It may help to trouble shoot. Generally speaking, nest boxes are usually set lower than the roosts. This prevents them from roosting in the nest boxes. You might try putting a small crate on the floor with shavings or straw in it to see if they are more comfortable laying in a lower spot. Or...it just may take them a little while to get used to the new set up. [​IMG]

Thanks for your comment, i'll post some pics tomorrow, and i'll put the nest boxes lower. The reason why i didn't wont them to be down low is because if a mouse or rat got into the coop, i wouldn't wont them to be around the eggs in which i will be eating, lol.

Quote:Yes i also use golf balls, im sure they will lay once they get up there, the only problem is getting them up there [​IMG] Thanks.​

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you start having mouse and rat problems you will have to get them, one way or another, anyway.

The only time mine fly up at me is when they think I have a treat. I suspect this guess was correct.

I wouldn't have that child in with them any more, for sure. Not unless they get a lot tamer, anyway.

6. Luke10

Oct 27, 2010
    Lancashire, UK
    Quote:Thanks for your post ddawn. Is there any way to stop them from flying up at people, or will they just stop with time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by